Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Sup?!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
      0 points
    Billy Kane doesn't wear a suit and tie...
    • CommentAuthorRyyudo
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2012 edited
      0 points
    9inchsamurai:
    Billy Kane doesn't wear a suit and tie...

BAM MOTHERFUCKA!

Plus. In my world where Billy Kane is perfect, cancer included, he would anyway.
    Trace Buster Buster
    • CommentAuthorKrsJin
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2012
      0 points
    Lol that MS Paint pic is amazing.
    • CommentAuthorPedro
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2012
      0 points

Trace Buster Buster
    • CommentAuthorKrsJin
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2012
      0 points
    Dropping EX Iori for Mature for now Pedro?

Man, there's entirely too many characters I like in this game. It should be like, a 7 vs 7 game instead of 3 vs 3.
  6. Member
    • CommentAuthorTravis Z
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2012
      0 points
    So I'm finally picking this thing up, and I haven't played a KoF game since like the early 2000s...

What's a good starting team to figure out what the hell I'm doing? I kinda remember liking King, but who knows anymore...
    • CommentAuthorPedro
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2012 edited
      0 points
    Yes! I want to see how far I can take Mature. There's a chance I'll go back to Iori though since I like that character so much lol.

Travis - I'd say the easiest characters to learn are the following:

Robert
    Ryo
    Terry
    Ash
    Kyo + EX Kyo
    EX Iori
    Joe
    Shen
    Raiden
    • CommentAuthorRyyudo
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2012
      0 points
    I'd say King is easy to learn, personally.
    • CommentAuthorAlcatras09
      0 points
    Travis, Know that I have been playing for a while I wish I would've started with top tiers rather than trying to find characters that fit my style. In my opinion this are some of those characters:

Shen
    Mr. Karate / Takuma
    Ex Iori / Iori
    Mature
    Duo Lon
    Benimaru
    Kim
    Saiki
    King
    Hwa Jai
    Chin???
    ------------
    Still have Doubts but good characters
    Yuri
    Clark
    Kensou
    Kyo
    Elizabeth
    Mai???
    • CommentAuthorPedro
      0 points
    This is my tier list since Edgar started it lol.

S tier

Mr. Karate

A tier

Hwa Jai
    Billy Kane
    Shen
    Benimaru
    Kyo
    Iori / EX Iori
    Takuma
    Mature
    Duo Lon
    Kim
    King
    Yuri
    Kula
    Chin
    Clark
    Ash
    Saiki
    Andy

B tier

EX Kyo
    Goro
    Terry
    Joe
    Robert
    Vice
    Elizabeth
    Raiden
    K'
    Maxima
    Kensou
    Athena
    Ralf

C tier

Ryo

D tier

Mai

Bottom/Crap/Waste of space tier

Leona
    Big Boss
    • CommentAuthorhydro
      0 points
    Leona.. :'(
    • CommentAuthorspineshark
      0 points
    haha. here's mine:

S:
    Benimaru
    Billy Kane
    Hwa Jai
    Mr. Karate
    Kyo

A+:
    Shen
    Yuri
    Kim
    Iori

A:
    Takuma
    EXKyo
    EXIori
    Kula
    King
    Clark
    Saiki
    Chin
    Daimon

B+:
    Ash
    Andy
    Duo Lon
    Elizabeth
    K'
    Kensou
    Mature

B:
    Everyone else

Lowest 5:
    Mai
    Terry
    Vice
    Joe
    Leona
    • CommentAuthorRyyudo
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2012
      0 points
    "C-tier" being average:

S-tier
    Mr. Karate

A-tier
    Billy Kane
    Kyo Kusanagi
    Benimaru Nikaido
    Joe Higashi
    Hwa Jai
    Yuri Sakazaki
    Takuma Sakazaki
    Iori Yagami
    Chin Gentsai
    EX Iori
    EX Kyo

B-tier
    Goro Daimon
    Elisabeth Branctorche
    Shen Woo
    Kim Kaphwan
    Raiden
    King
    Mature
    Ralf Jones
    Clark Still
    K'
    Maxima

C-tier
    Saiki
    Duo Lon
    Terry Bogard
    Mai Shiranui
    Ryo Sakazaki
    Vice
    Leona Heidern
    Sie Kensou
    Kula Diamond

D-tier
    Ash Crimson
    Andy Bogard
    Robert Garcia
    Athena Asamiya
    • CommentAuthorMoses
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2012 edited
      0 points
    MADKOF: KoFXIII online is seriously bad. You cannot react to any kind of obvious attacks. You have to anticipate what’s coming next instead of reacting to it. I kept playing KoF13 online just because KoF13 was a great game. If the game was less interesting than what it was, I would consider stopping. It took me about a month to get used to offline play. Usually, a week would be enough time to get used to offline play, but you must not play online at all during that time. KoFXIII online doesn’t help you to improve your skill at all. You will keep getting hit by random moves that wouldn’t work offline. Online play is just for fun. If KoFXIII online was as good as SSF4 online, then it would be very helpful. Unfortunately, KoFXIII online is not good at all.

There are not many people who like KoFXIII because of its bad online play in Korea. If KoFXIII had a good online play just like GGPO, many more people would play the game and the team size would be bigger.

Even in Korea this game has assy online. Think about that. (interview here)

Also backing up JJ's tier list:
    MADKOF: If you put your time and effort into any characters, they can be strong, except Robert and Athena (they just suck…).

What a fucking troll!
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2012 edited
      0 points
    That's idiotic.

I have a new team.

(If you couldn't tell from context it's Athena and Robert and Leona. Elizabeth is still my real shit but if you ask Kaoru or the Koreans she sucks too OH WELL)

(Also I know Kula has a few weird issues (mostly because of df.B) but I'm laughing my ass off at "average"(/superclosetothebottom) Jamaal)
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012
      0 points
    oh my god the ass bump combo is like 10x harder than anything else I've tried to do in this game wtf
    • CommentAuthorRyyudo
      0 points
    Superclosetothebottom is more like D-Tier. I don't think anyone is E-Tier or F-tier. I see it as 3 ranks above C, 3 ranks below C. My b, I didn't explain that.

I.E. Tager in CT/CS1 would be E-Tier. Nearly all his match-ups are an uphill climb.

Ganondorf in Smash Brothers Brawl is F-Tier. All his match-ups are an uphill climb, and he even has a theoretical match-up that is unwinnable/0-10 against the Ice Climbers (This is dated knowledge though since I haven't played in years).

I think Kula is "average". There's no spectacular point of her game that shines so much that it'll win her games as easily. She requires some work and knowledge to hang with the tops, which she totally can.

Also, I didn't organize the ranks within each tier, if you're taking that into consideration. Kula would be MUCH closer to the top of C, trust me on that. :)
      0 points
    Okay, if you mean "average" in the context of a spectrum that is (in my opinion) way wider than what you see in this game or even most then I can buy into that. I don't agree, but I also feel like I've played way more of the actual worse characters in this game than you have.

My tier list is probably half on paper, half on my experience (or less in cases where I don't know what's up with those characters), I'll admit. I think that well-rounded counts for a lot but it doesn't take you to the top (except if you're Billy). My S tier is mostly based on characters who have solid neutral and mixup games and huge returns. Hwa Jai can do 1k and gain three meters AT THE SAME TIME. Benimaru can also start with very little and convert for the whole round (although I haven't seen anyone do it...yet). I think these characters are harder to play "optimally" than Mr. Karate since (especially Beni) they can't overwhelm the other guy with relative safety as much, but they're definitely who I'm most afraid of in the overall scheme of things.

No way I'm going through everyone just like this (maybe over time) so let's hit some highlights.

I think Shen speaks for himself. He may have a weak low game but as far as I know nobody else has TODs that work even when they block you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVQcpZfw6vs
    Yeah, if they have a meter, they can get out of it. That's still a huge shift in the way they have to play.

Kim is sort of an odd one out in my A+ tier since he's not as good at opening people up as Yuri and it's hard to confirm into huge Claw/Shen damage. But I'm convinced there's a reason you saw him so much near the end of Evo, and I think it's got a lot to do with his huge options and strong normal game.

I'm sure everyone thinks I overrate King but I think there's a lot to be said for context. Shen is merely good on point. King is a weak anchor, relatively. But you don't ever have to play them like that! You will never get snapped out or happy birthday'd. And King with no meter versus most other characters with no meter is a favorable matchup in my mind.

Saiki I feel has the best fireball game in the game. It's not high on reward but the risk is generally low (especially compared to Ash) and in a true zoning war his neomax practically wins for free. Plus he actually has options after jumping, which is one of Ash's biggest weaknesses.

Duo Lon. I was kinda bashing on him a little at Evo, even through finals, and I wanted to attribute most of the win to MadKOF. (Who obviously earned it, either way.) But I've been continuing to play Duo Lon and he's neither as gimmicky or one-dimensional as I thought. I mean he basically has a million ways to frame trap people, he's virtually as strong midscreen as in the corner, and he builds meter incredibly fast. Amazing point character, but I think he does suffer in those rare instances where you get a huge combo opportunity with your point character. He just gets less for what he spends than almost any other character. I personally can totally live with that. So I think I'm gonna keep playing him.

Elizabeth. Obviously. I actually probably underrate this character because I've suffered so much trying to learn her (haha, it's a joke. Sorta.), but it's difficult (or risky) to reverse momentum when you're getting rushed. You either roll/blowback and try to get in again (which is hard against good characters) or you go all in on a counter. Sucks either way. Other than that, I like her pressure options, and her damage is way less bad than most people want to pretend. Scaling does cause most combos to taper off around 600 tops, but...uhh. I'm willing to do 1 drive and 1-2 meters for that.

Mai. My straight-up pick for worst character in the game. Still fun, though. Again, this is how I feel with a lot of "on paper" influence. Since I'm bad I think Leona is harder to win with, but I don't think that would be as true if I was better at a couple things. As Mai I can scrape out rounds from time to time with random jumping hits/airthrows + random reversals and like 1 combo (of 3 hits). As soon as you have to play legit (i.e. you get them in the corner where you really want them and no longer benefit from random kneedrop hits and crossups) you're hosed because you have to play the same mixup game as anyone else with no command grab or comboable overhead. Except with worse return and risk.

At least she has that Neomax.

Vice. Slow reversal (when you even want to use it). Mediocre damage (like Elizabeth, it seems hard to get much over 600 without spending a LOT). At least she gets full conversions from random air hits, but then...I can't figure out why I would need to jump at Vice anyway. Maybe there's something I just don't get.

Leona. Still frustrated with this character, still like her, still thinking of new ideas all the time. I finally got to see her frame data yesterday and some of it's better than I thought (b~f.D is even on block) but a lot is worse (raw fwd.B (the only way it's actually an overhead) is -7). Bottom line is, I know how to win if I can start playing super solid, and when you get that one big chance they ARE gonna die. Which is huge. But she really needs just a little bit more to really shine.

Athena and Robert. Been working a lot with them. Still not buying it at all, but I guess we'll see. Aside from the insane execution I'm having a hard time seeing what's wrong with Athena. Robert has more obvious issues (like command grab/bfb.K overlap) but he's rounded with a couple of solid gimmicks. Don't forget that the Cafeid guys also said they thought Billy wasn't that good till they played Bala HA HA HA
    • CommentAuthorPedro
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2012
      0 points
    Athena and Robert are def not bad characters. Not even close. Those cafeID guys are full of it.
      0 points
    So I think I'm gonna learn new characters: Maxima, Benimaru, K' (possibly), and Saiki.