Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Sup?!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorRyyudo
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012
      0 points
    If you want air trajectory changes/moves here's who I can think of: Benimaru, Saiki, Athena, Mai, Hwa Jai, Robert, King, Kim, Maxima, and Leona.

As for good normals, from that list you're looking at: Saiki, Athena, Mai, Hwa Jai, King, Maxima, Kim.

Kula has one good and spammable normal. But you need to know how to get in, how to keep that pressure, and be able to hit confirm into a combo to make her truly threatening. Personally, I like Kula on point a lot, but I think overall Athena would be a better point.

Saiki's normals are awkward but are strong and often can be hard to beat. He's not a mobile character by any means, just more of a get-away character with normals and teleports to keep people out.

K' - Has pretty good normals, but once again, he's a character you want to be able to confirm with well to really get your pressure going. I'd say his air normals is where he shines, but his poke and ground game is meh.

For your current team, I'd do: Athena, Hwa, Yuri in order. I'd say give K a try, so you can get into the system of the game a bit better as he has a little bit of everything, and he's damn good anyway. Get used to his good air normals and less Ein Trigger spam (not to say don't use it often, but use it smartly and on reaction).
      0 points
    I don't know what to do about Takuma anymore. After last night it became pretty apparent that I'm not pulling anything out with him anymore, but I still really like his specials and normals and I see someone like Bala pull off reverse OCVs with him and wish I can land anything with him.

It might just be a symptom of a problem with my game in general that I've recognized: I really don't confirm into real solid damage. It feels like whenever I land an actual hit confirm, I have an "oh shit" moment where I realize I have to do a full combo and then I get all nervous or something and end up dropping everything, and then when I go land something it feels really sloppy.
    • CommentAuthoroilyeye
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012
      0 points
    9inchsamurai:
    It might just be a symptom of a problem with my game in general that I've recognized: I really don't confirm into real solid damage. It feels like whenever I land an actual hit confirm, I have an "oh shit" moment where I realize I have to do a full combo and then I get all nervous or something and end up dropping everything, and then when I go land something it feels really sloppy.

The only cure I've found for this in any game is lots of lab hours. One thing that helps me out a ton is when a game has a random guard function in practice mode (not sure if KOF has this?), because it forces me to react to either a blocked attack or confirm into a combo (which by the time I start doing this I've done a thousand times on a no-guard dummy). In a game where this is possible, I tend to use the following routine for hit-confirm practice:

1) Neutral dummy with permanently maxed bars/gauges/etc. (make sure to practice some meterless bnb combos during this phase)
    2) Auto-guard dummy with maxed etc. (use the same bnbs)
    3) Auto-guard dummy without maxed etc. (helpful because you get to build your own bar on the combos you already have nailed but still have to adjust to an opponent that blocks when you can't predict)

None of this helps me get any better at the neutral game, but this is one of the few things I can practice effectively without needing a series of human opponents (note my "poke and retreat" gameplay from the other day as proof that I've not done this nearly as much as I should have in AE - your Guy and Abel both outplayed me over and over despite us both getting roughly the same number of opportunities in that set because you could confirm into damage a lot better than I could). The "oh shit" moment comes from actually having to think about it rather than just engaging by reflex whenever you see the attack connect. The thinking part should come in the time when you're trying to set up the opportunities for those attacks rather than when you land them.
    • CommentAuthorAlcatras09
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012
      0 points
    • CommentAuthorspineshark
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2012 edited
      0 points
    oh hey, I finally learned something new!

liz corner st.cd -> qcf.c

safe on block (or at least stupid and hard to punish, especially if you mix up with qcf.a if you think they'll block anyway), safe on hit, but on counter you can follow with

qcf.c, dp.a DC qcf.ac, qcf.c, qcf.c dp.a j.d qcfhcb.c

for 600. super easy confirm, and good damage for 2 bars/1 drive esp. considering it's her only half-decent ground poke.

been trying some other shenanigans with cd kara cancels and the like but i just don't see how any of it beats the things i already lose to (lows especially slides, fireballs, dps, people with huge j.cds)
    Trace Buster Buster
    • CommentAuthorKrsJin
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2012
      0 points
    Could you guys do me a big favor and link either match vids or tourney vids worth watching in here? Or point out good channels to subscribe to? I'm at a loss on finding good footage haha.

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorRyyudo
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2012 edited
      0 points
    Unfortunately KrsJin, I know of little. I just keep up to knowledge on major tournaments and make it a point to watch at least the finals. Sorry buddy :(

I'm playing with Kim's qcf+BD off of his ff+A kick. Landing a combo with that does such a grip of damage, and it's not as hard as I though it was originally to combo off of it. The reason I thought it was hard was because I was using cr.B as the continuation. While not impossible, it's ridiculously difficult. Using St.D instead nets more damage, special follow-up options, and can even loop into itself if you're feeling masculine (and does ridiculous stun damage if you loop all 5 bars).

Probably won't bust this out at EVO tournament, but will try in friendlies. A little something to play around with while we're gone, KrsJin.

Confirm, ff+A, QCF+BD, st.D, qcb+B, flash kick D, D follow-up = 360 (cr.B confirms) - 431 (j.D st.D) for one bar. That's pretty good.

If you wanna/need to go for the kill: Confirm, ff+a, QCF+BD, st.D, qcb+B, Neo Max (or EX qcbhcf+BD) = 656(cr.Bs) - 726 (j.D st.D) (505 - 582 for EX Super)
    Trace Buster Buster
    • CommentAuthorKrsJin
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2012
      0 points
    Finals archived here. Starts at 33 minutes. KoF XIII Finals
    • CommentAuthoroilyeye
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2012
      0 points
    KrsJin:
    Finals archived here. Starts at 33 minutes. KoF XIII Finals

There was so much amazing gameplay here. I feel like players are really starting to push the envelope with this game, and I'm glad to see the series get more attention in general. Most of the Kim technology in the top 8 was stuff I'd seen before, but MadKOF's Duo Lon and Bala's Takuma were absolutely incredible.
    • CommentAuthorRyyudo
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2012
      0 points
    Wow, Billy Kane is like... the Litchi of KoF XIII. He has very space-from-corner specific, timing-intensive combos. But you're rewarded with a fuck-ton of damage for bar used.

This will be exciting once I get him down in like three months :)
    • CommentAuthoroilyeye
      0 points
    I've finally settled on a team for the moment: Hwa, Yuri, Benimaru (usually in that order). As much as I appreciate K' for his unabashed combination of sunglasses with assless chaps, I can't get the hang of gameplay with him. I have been experimenting with Kim as recommended and may end up trading Hwa out for him once I get a better understanding of how to control space with him. I'm still in the lab with this team trying to beat my BnBs into muscle memory, and Benimaru seemed pretty easy to pick up compared to the other characters I'd experimented with.

Right now my biggest strategic problem is that I need to get myself out of the Marvel mindset that it's always a good idea to burn meter when I have it. I start all 3 of my characters with almost no meter playing this way, and I think if I budget better I may be able to turn early opportunities in the 2nd or 3rd round into quicker victories.
    Trace Buster Buster
    • CommentAuthorKrsJin
      0 points
    ^I actually think burning meter when you have it is a really good thing to consider in this game as long as you aren't over using it for a KO when it wasn't needed. I also personally feel Beni would be slightly better on point than Hwa. I think Hwa benefits a lot with meter but he's not bad without it, and does build it pretty quickly.
      0 points
    oilyeye:
    Right now my biggest strategic problem is that I need to get myself out of the Marvel mindset that it's always a good idea to burn meter when I have it. I start all 3 of my characters with almost no meter playing this way, and I think if I budget better I may be able to turn early opportunities in the 2nd or 3rd round into quicker victories.

This is one thing I find really interesting with the XIII system. There are so many ways to think about meter spending in this game. Do I want to use 1 drive to push them in the corner or save it for HD? Should I EX this special to get myself out of the corner? Should I blow it all with my character that's about to die or save it for the next character? Then there's all the character-specific strategies about optimal combos, like how some characters get more from doing full HD loops and others just do HD activate->super->neomax.

I have the opposite problem, where I rarely spend meter with any character, and if I do it's usually for an EX reversal and not for a damaging combo. I think for this I really just want to try and land HD combos as often as I can, since those do a lot of damage regardless of how much super stock you have (typically). But if I'm playing a character that gets a lot of mileage off of simple 1 drive combos, maybe that's not really the best way to do it? But then you should also be paying attention to your opponent's health total since maybe if you spend it all you can just kill them right now...that was pretty rambly...
    Trace Buster Buster
    • CommentAuthorKrsJin
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2012 edited
      0 points
    I've been of the thought of saving it for HD once I hit my second or third character, but after watching EVO this year I think I'm going to shift to just getting damage whenever I can. I mean, I do this from time to time but I think I want to focus on doing it almost every time now.

I was taken back at how much those Cafe ID guys were spending meter on reversals, or just using one drive cancel in every combo they could do. But it all adds up. And your opponent seems to play more defensively if they see you sitting on a full HD setup, making it tougher to land a clean hit to start it or limiting how many risky mistakes they may make to open themselves up.

EDIT: Different topic but who do you guys feel are the best point characters right now?

My large list of good or great ones would be something like:

Billy, Mr. K, Beni, Kula, King, K', Ryo, Andy, Duo (after seeing freaking Mad KoF). But I'm curious what you guys think.
    • CommentAuthorPedro
      0 points
    all of those you listed + Iori, Ash, Joe, Kyo
    • CommentAuthorRyyudo
      0 points
    Billy, Mr.K, Beni, Kula, King, K', Ryo, Andy, Iori, Saiki, Kyo, Raiden, Athena, Mature.
    • CommentAuthorspineshark
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2012
      0 points
    I pretty much just do regular DC all the time with Shen (and Elizabeth when I get a corner situation and don't drop it). My main Shen combo is just under 500 damage for one meter/one drive (and another 60-70 for the second meter if I want to use it), but compared to spending that for an HD TOD I get some of that meter back in the meantime and can go in completely on any opportunity rather than holding back "until I have enough" and trying to set up some super favorable situation. And just in general I've been working really hard to train myself to take damage when I see it.

I really don't think saving up for 5/2 is a good move generally speaking and one of the reasons I put away Leona for a while is because I kept doing it trying to go all or nothing when she came up. I always got nothing, and I think one of the big takeaways from the evo finals is that playing that way isn't the only answer. That said, general position in the match is a big factor, but it's not something I can consciously focus on yet. Like, if it's their last character, yeah it's probably worth going all out, unless you have a character out who really doesn't get that much off of it relatively (like Mai midscreen or Duolon). Or if their character is someone you're just plain scared of. And there's a bunch of other factors too, like a lot of characters who become really scary/annoying at 4/2 (like Ash, Leona, King, Vice, etc.) are just not that dangerous at 1/1 and/or have poor meter build, so you can take your time blowing them up. It's just one of those subtler things I really love about this game, but my general rule is that I do what I feel is my best option at a time and just wait to build meter later if I have to, even when I was running Elizabeth second and Leona third (both of whom can really eat through meter really fast).

I know I've said a lot of stuff about new teams (especially to Jamaal) but messing around since getting back from Evo I've felt like I actually don't want to spend a whole ton of time learning new characters from scratch right now. I think with the tournament fresh in my mind it's a good time for me to refine what I know and polish up my game instead of throwing a lot more stuff at the wall. And since I've been finding a lot more things to do with Elizabeth that don't involve spending meter constantly I think I'm looking at a couple of slightly tweaked teams along the lines of Elizabeth/Leona/Shen and old Kyo/Mai/Leona.

Which is to say, yeah, Leona is coming back, and I've got some exciting new ideas (at least for me) and better execution to put in play, although it will probably take a little while. Same goes for Shen, actually, who I was thinking about dropping after Evo before Evo (shut up that makes sense), but I think it's better to work on improving my game with a character I'm already quite familiar with than to drop him just because I'm having trouble teaching myself not to play like an idiot in some situations (mostly involving blockstrings). Plus he's strong and easy to do work with.
      0 points
    I feel like I need to record some matches of me playing in order to get better. I have a general idea of why I'm losing, but nothing really specific and it would be great to look at matches of myself over and over to figure it out. Some ideas I have:

1. I jump too much
    2. I backdash too much
    3. I don't safe jump like at all
    4. I seem to land my jump-ins too early so my close C/Ds end up not comboing
    5. I can't handle pressure very well if I'm using a character without a reversal
    • CommentAuthorRyyudo
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2012
      0 points
    Decided I'm going to focus more on Takuma's combos for now and try to get his combo game strong first before really getting settled with Kane's combos. I'll work on zoning better and using his normal properly with Billy Cancer first.
    • CommentAuthorRyyudo
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2012
      0 points
    I have one thing to say to you all:

He's comin'!