Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Sup?!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    Trace Buster Buster
    • CommentAuthorKrsJin
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2012
      1 point
    I would say focus more on the feel and pace of it more than trying to dive right into trials. Get a standard, easy, BnB for each of your characters and begin playing. Once you're comfortable with the flow and begin to realize where you can apply what, then worry about fancier combos and meter management.
    • CommentAuthorjoeyorion
      3 points
    Yeah what KrsJin said totally. Definitely do the tutorial too just to familiarize yourself with the different gauges and jump types. I often forget the hop, which I need to implement. As far as character selection.... I honestly picked my characters by looking in the manual and picking which guys I thought looked cool and then focused on learning their moves. I barely hit the trial mode with them but once I figured the game out, I tried it and it gave me some insight on some combos. Definitely check YouTube for character specific combo exhibitions when you've got the basics down. It's a fun game but take time to learn it. I tried to casually learn it like I did with marvel and it didn't go well at all. It's not a difficult game to learn but it's difficult to master if that makes any sense lol. You'll be fine with kof, Austin. Glad to have you aboard!
    • CommentAuthorRyyudo
      3 points
    I'd actually personally advise going into the trials and playing through til you get pretty damn stuck or overwhelmed on first glance (most will be trial 4 or 5). That way you can get a feel for what the characters do, want to do, can do, how the special moves work, how they flow etc.. It'll give you a crash course in basics and the kind of moves the game expects you to link together more often than not.
      1 point
    Ryyudo:
    I'd actually personally advise going into the trials and playing through til you get pretty damn stuck or overwhelmed on first glance (most will be trial 4 or 5). That way you can get a feel for what the characters do, want to do, can do, how the special moves work, how they flow etc.. It'll give you a crash course in basics and the kind of moves the game expects you to link together more often than not.

That's actually what I do when I try to learn a new character. It's just more fun than jumping right in to training.
    • CommentAuthorRyyudo
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2012
      3 points
    So to further answer your question, thus far, KrsJin: I'm enjoying Kim quite a bit. He has a flow somewhat similar to Kula and I think that's why I'm enjoying him off the get go, but with a bag full of tricks to keep him in and to keep him unpredictable. His options are ridiculously large and I think, looking back, is one thing I was not using well with Shen, also him being more limited IN options anyway.

I just have to get used to playing smart to get in and stay in.
      1 point
    Even tho this vid is a bit dated, it does show fundamentals and basics....
    The Beginner's Incomplete Guide to KOF
  7. Member
    • CommentAuthorRomora
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2012
      0 points
    So i played a bit today, while it may have been on pad, I tried a variety of characters and so far I like King.
    Rip the Jacker
    • CommentAuthorRecon
      0 points
    romora i hope you stick with this game. it will force you to learn some fundamentals because no offense your fundamentals are ass. You have good combos decent execution but when it comes to putting yourself into those situations you lack a knowledge of how to do that. foots blocking proper punishment is what this game is all about.
  9. Member
    • CommentAuthorRomora
      0 points
    To be honest, I got this game on a whim. But upon playing it for about 3 hours last night, i had fun and will continue to play this game. I don't have live right now though, so i'll have to play arcade/story mode. But i really want to learn this game on a competitive level. I like King and Terry so far.. I feel like i'm gonna have to really buckle down to find three characters that fit my style of play.
    • CommentAuthorRyyudo
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2012 edited
      0 points
    http://www.own3d.tv/teamspooky

KoF 13 finals next on stream.
    • CommentAuthorMoses
      6 points
    Romora:
    I don't have live right now though, so i'll have to play arcade/story mode. But i really want to learn this game on a competitive level.

It's cool. Game doesn't have an online mode.
  12. Member
    • CommentAuthorRomora
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2012 edited
      0 points
    I have King and Hwa so far, trying to find a third.. I want to play Billy Kane, but he doesn't have a projectile as far as I know. Also trying to unlock Saiki.
    Rip the Jacker
    • CommentAuthorRecon
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2012
      0 points
    Hwa Jai doesn't have a projectile haha. they really aren't all that important in this game. pressure is and billy is great at that.
  14. Member
    • CommentAuthorRomora
      0 points
    Buuuuut I like projectiles >_>
    • CommentAuthorRyyudo
      0 points
    Just use Billy's jalopy kicks over and over. HIGH LEVEL PLAY.

But really Billy is stupid strong at mid range, and is a killer of worlds at pokes convertible into damage. Still thinking about picking him up, but one thing at a time.
    • CommentAuthorPedro
      0 points
    Robert
    Athena
    Kensou
    Saiki

All have a pretty good projectile game. And Romora, since you're new to this game it would be a good idea to stick to simple characters to get the basics down. Hwa is difficult to use if you don't know the basics.
      0 points
    I finally got the DLC characters so I'm gonna hit the lab hard with Mr. Karate soon.
    • CommentAuthorAlcatras09
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012 edited
      0 points
    http://orochinagi.com/2011/12/kof-xiii-tiers/comment-page-1#comment-3641
    http://www.mmcafe.com/tiermaker/kof13/index.html
  19. Member
      0 points
    Romora:
    I have King and Hwa so far, trying to find a third.. I want to play Billy Kane, but he doesn't have a projectile as far as I know. Also trying to unlock Saiki.

If you set it to the lowest difficulty in arcade and just focus on doing all the meter 'challenges' that pop up the Saiki event is trivial to trigger, and then he dies insanely fast. I never use him but I hate having locked non-DLC characters and I'm too lazy to do it the 'right' way ;-)
    • CommentAuthortkid
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012
      0 points
    Well since my 360 hated the disc, I got this again for the PS3. As it's been awhile, where's the go to site for KOF? My team is still Yuri/Mai/Athena...but I really would like to give OG Iori a shot once I get some faster internet service.