Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Sup?!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorPedro
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2012 edited
      0 points
    Some good matches on here

KO
    OG Fresh, Sultan of Shoryu
    • CommentAuthorHalfro
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2012
      0 points
    Let's try this weekend...Sunday? I want to play 4it bar games only really. Gt halfrohalfamazn
    • CommentAuthorPedro
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2012
      0 points
    I don't think I've ever played a 4 bar game... Anyways, I played like 50 matches against Juicebox last night. Not sure how long he's been playing XIII but he was pretty good. His King is no joke, but after you get rid of her it was clear that he was still learning his other characters. I was pretty impressed with his execution, he only dropped a few HD combos. I Did record several matches so I'll look through them to see what I did wrong.

I'll add you tonight Halfro and if you see me online tomorrow just jump in. Hopefully our connection is not crap.
    KICK THE TREE
    • CommentAuthorFoxisquick
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2012
      0 points
    i think you'll be fine iwth halfro. I get 3 bars with him and it's got a slight amount of lag but overall halfor was able to land most of his combos so i think it would be good.
  5. Member
    • CommentAuthorKendrick
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012
      2 points
    I've played some 4bar games, on PSN.

Btw, I'm only on PSN, for better or worse.

I have found some clean connection friends who mop the floor with me though, so it's been good.
  6. Member
    • CommentAuthorSuna
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012
      0 points
    I've had a few four bar games, and they were pretty good. 3 bars can be alright, but lag kicks in several times
  7. Member
    • CommentAuthorKendrick
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2012
      0 points
    So I learned a couple HD Combos.

The 'simple' one with Mai I stole from watching Bala/Romance fight vids. c.lk, s.lk, s.hk, lk+hp, s.lk, s.hk, hcf+lk, qcf,hcb+2P.

What irks me is it took me a couple days to do it even once (well, a few hours, if you only count the time I actually had the chance to practice KoF). I am getting more consistent with it in practice mode, but I know full well it'll be eons before it's used in real fights.

I thought BB was the hardest game to get into, and maybe it is, but KoF is certainly the hardest to master. If combos weren't so strict, it'd be a lot more approachable.

/newb-rant
    Da Illest Grammar Nazi
    • CommentAuthorskilletor
      1 point
    That's why I love it. It's a game made for people who grew up playing fighting games.

Step up your execution game up!
    • CommentAuthorRyyudo
      0 points
    I still don't think BB was hard to get into at all. But that's besides the point

I really like how HARD I have to learn for this game. I didn't get to this level of learning for Blaz for a while (playing online might have pushed this process back because I could actually talk to people and see things). But my execution needs to be stepped up hella bad. Then I need to play better :)

I love it.
  10. Member
    • CommentAuthorKendrick
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2012 edited
      0 points
    skilletor:
    That's why I love it. It's a game made for people who grew up playing fighting games.

Step up your execution game up!

I did grow up playing fighting games. Like SF2, Samurai Shodown, World Heroes and MK1-2 (mostly at Double Play Sports in Golden, as a kid, which went out of business, then at home sometimes with friends). Games have only gotten more complex and harder. KoF having tight frame-requirements is a lot tougher on us when it's running at 60 FPS. Then you have all the extra-sub-systems and meters that have been piled on over the years. Plus the arcade scene died.

So maybe some old fighting game cats like that games have gotten increasingly more complex and hard, but I'm one of those guys who's on the other side of the fence. I really want a game to be relatively easy to learn, for combos to be short and sweet. I think this encourages more players to pick up the game and gets more people able to focus on strategy and less on dropped combos and execution in general. Plus, there's more player-interaction time. Did you notice when you have these long drawn-out combos, that there isn't any player-interaction for the duraction of the combo?

I've yearned for a new fighting game to come out that is simpler and more back to basics. I don't who's decision it was to drop HDR from tournaments around here, btw haha.

Ryyudo:
    I really like how HARD I have to learn for this game. I didn't get to this level of learning for Blaz for a while (playing online might have pushed this process back because I could actually talk to people and see things). But my execution needs to be stepped up hella bad. Then I need to play better :)

I can also understand this. Sometimes it's therapeutic in a sense to devote a lot of time to a game and just kind of grind away at it. It can act like an MMO or something.

But when you're strapped for time, I think the training-time required for someone new to KoF like me gets to you more.
    KICK THE TREE
      0 points
    There is a lot of good points in your post. There are some pretty insanely long combos in umvc3. Yet it is currently the most popular fighter in the usa. Also there is a balance when you're taking about a game being complex and a game being easy to learn with strategy. If you make a game too easy then you're going to lose a lot of options that become avenues to victory. Because of this you reduce the amount of strategic choices you can make during a match.

Have you played VS at all? That game had some execution requirements and it's a pretty old game. We just had an ST tournament late last year so older games are still being played. This weekend i can assure you that ST will be played. Kof a hard game? I guess so. But honestly if your choices are "training mode" and "play with other people" then just play with other people. KOF rewards the foots game and you can probably beat a majority of people in the world with a high end foots game and average knowledge of combos.

The game isn't approachable because it's not SF. I can almost assure you of that. Tons of people play SF4 and there are some ridiculous links in that game that were pretty much required to win. Not to mention the incredible amount of additional button pushes for option selects. I also think if anyone where to complain about time management for KOF the thing ot focus on would be that it requires 3 characters to learn not just 1. Not the combos themselves.
  12. Member
    • CommentAuthorKendrick
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2012 edited
      0 points
    I played VS a tad, but it never really took off in Arcades that I went to growing up. Didn't really learn it more in-depth until we had a tournament with it a couple years ago. I think that's one of the games that came in as the arcade scene was just beginning to die.

Yeah, fighting games like UMVC3 and SF4 are popular, no doubt about it. I don't play those, though. Actually, I'm more or less at a loss when it comes to any modern fighter.
    Foxisquick:
    But honestly if your choices are "training mode" and "play with other people" then just play with other people.

I actually do a combination of both. It's playing other people that inspired me to work harder on combos. Might not be the greatest idea to take too much time off from playing other people in order to work on one combo like I did with Mai for those couple of days though.

Foxisquick:
    I also think if anyone where to complain about time management for KOF the thing ot focus on would be that it requires 3 characters to learn not just 1. Not the combos themselves.

I like the 3-characters aspect. It would definitely be a hell of a lot easier to pull together a team if I could learn them quicker, for sure.

Anyway, not much I can do about the fact that there isn't any real modern fighting game for me except work on making my own game someday, or get lucky that some other big-name developer feels the same way I do.

Nothing wrong with popular video games doing their own thing and making lots of money. I've long felt strongly about ideas that would make me fall in love with a fighting game like back in the day.

I know this puts me at odds with EFL, but I just felt like I really hit a wall with this game and as a newb, wanted to rant a bit.
    KICK THE TREE
      0 points
    You can never be at odds with EFL unless you are in love with DFG.

We all have our querks and passions. What we care about are people who are passionate about fighters or even just games in general. What you like and dislike only adds to our already diverse group.
  14. Member
    • CommentAuthorKendrick
      0 points
    Too bad I can't hate a game still dominate at it like Halfro or somebody, lol.

Well, thank you for tolerating a little newb rage.

With all that said, I still can't put this game down, at least not right now and since it came out. I just can't help but feel strongly about them at least having looser frame/timing requirements for stuff.

Maybe BB is actually undercover newb-friendly. I will focus on it more after this weekend, give it a fair shake. The combos are big, no doubt, but I keep hearing that at least the frames/timing requirements aren't as strict as KoF.

KoF has the general look and feel of a fighter I like, it's just once I try to progress past newb and onto say, novice or expert... ouch.
    Trace Buster Buster
    • CommentAuthorKrsJin
      0 points
    Kendrick:

So maybe some old fighting game cats like that games have gotten increasingly more complex and hard, but I'm one of those guys who's on the other side of the fence. I really want a game to be relatively easy to learn, for combos to be short and sweet. I think this encourages more players to pick up the game and gets more people able to focus on strategy and less on dropped combos and execution in general. Plus, there's more player-interaction time. Did you notice when you have these long drawn-out combos, that there isn't any player-interaction for the duraction of the combo?

You're in luck then, there's quite a few recent fighters (see nearly all except for Marvel with the long combos) that cater to your wants.

I don't gather that 3D is your thing but SC5 really comes to mind with more player interaction, ease of use to pick up, and short&sweet combos.

But back to KoF. I need to practice! Haven't played since last Thursday!
  16. Member
    • CommentAuthorKendrick
      0 points
    SC5 huh.

Maybe so, maybe so. I was thinking of picking it up anyway. The single player would keep me amused for awhile at least.

I'm not totally against 3d on its face. Actually played SC4 it pretty thoroughly, single-player-wise, but never really competitively. I hate to say it, but I think the main reason I didn't devote a lot more competitive-type play to it was because it was laggy online. (I know, I know...) Reports coming in say SC5 should be nice online, so I have no reason not to pick it up now.

KoF13's netcode is brilliant. Up until the patch, I could still find good games though, just not as many.
  17. Member
    • CommentAuthorIsaak
      0 points
    KrsJin:
    But back to KoF. I need to practice! Haven't played since last Thursday!

im down to getting some practice. just say when and where
    OG Fresh, Sultan of Shoryu
    • CommentAuthorHalfro
      1 point
    Long rant about how games shouldn't be dumbed down but rather the player knowledge base and training level increased. :)
    • CommentAuthorPedro
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2012
      3 points
    Hard work always pays off... This also applies to games.

Put in your 2 hrs of training per day and you're bound to get good at it. It takes dedication to be good at anything so if youre not putting in the time you'll see it in the results.
    Trace Buster Buster
    • CommentAuthorKrsJin
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2012
      0 points
    Things that are easy, often aren't worth pursuing.

Honestly though once I got over the initial execution gap, I really don't find the game all that inherently hard.