Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Sup?!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    Da Illest Grammar Nazi
    • CommentAuthorskilletor
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2012
      1 point
    Just like any other 2D game, if you're getting thrown after a jump-in, it's because you weren't deep enough (That's what she said).
    OG Fresh, Sultan of Shoryu
    • CommentAuthorHalfro
      2 points
    You are attempting your jump in's too high if you are being thrown upon landing. Make sure your light attack jump ins are MEATY and hard jump ins are DEEP, unless going for a cross. Also, jumping in with a C+D attack will give you heavy frame advantage if you feel you are being thrown alot, you can try for that and if they are trying to throw when you land, go for a low attack to combo of choice. That is a good way to discourge shallow jump in throwing.

Mashing lows in this game is incredibly bad idea as the potential for ch's to losing a character is incredibly high but, to answer the question, c.b of x character vs the throw frames of y character is your answer. Along with your own personal timing. Say if you have 5 frame low and the throw is 3 frames to activation than your low will not come in time to stop the person from throwing you. Better to just break the throw with OS throw tech (6c~d).

Rushdown tips would be characters specific as well. Some characters function slower paced and others overwelm the opponent with great high low left right mix ups. So instead of sitting and explaining all of that, here is a vid that gives a broad view of how to approach offense and the finer points of the meta game.
    Laban 2 or 3: Offensive play tips

For timing on meaties just, play more really. You can set up scenerios where you are timing it for yourself for example: with Kim, he has a great bnb which is 2b x 3, 5b, 66a ~ 214b. After 214b in the air, I can IMMEDIATELY small jump a and get a 2 frame safe small jump on the entire cast. After a backdash 214d overhead, I can backdash immediately and then go for a safe jump d overhead or empty jump low with no consequences. Small things like that come with practice time and play.
      0 points
    I've seen that video before, but it's hard to actually implement everything it talks about during a fight when I'm getting my ass kicked. I made my comment after getting bodied hard online against a Mature/Vice/Benimaru team so I was feeling pretty salty, but I recorded a couple of our matches. After rewatching that video I then watched my replays and I'm still having a hard time seeing how to apply what he's going over. I had the most trouble with this person when I was in the corner and they were standing just outside of sweep range. It felt like anything I could do at that position was a bad choice because he seemed to react to everything I was doing and counter it. Another thing he did a lot was meaty cr. light attacks, which all I can do is block but then that puts him back at the same range as before where I was stuck. There was definitely a large difference in experience cause he had like 400+ games played, so it's probably that he knows a lot more about what his normals can and can't do. But still, trying to react and counter something he did after a solid Mature blockstring seems ridiculously hard.
    • CommentAuthorRyyudo
      0 points
    KrsJin was talking about that range in corner, and it's a ridiculously hard position to get out of. You just wait outside of sweep range and let the opponent make a mistake. With Shen, I'm openly willing to throw out his Super if I see the opponent jump, even if it's too high, to get out of the corner. If they're mashing cr.lights, see if you can guard cancel roll out of there on one of the earlier lights, or a Blowblack if they do one from a decent distance. If you do either on a later light, you'll be right in their face while giving them plenty of time to react. Find out what your moves can do too (I dunno who you're using, so I can't really give direct tips), i.e. Kula can semi walking s.b her way out into some room, Shen's super punch pushes a little bit out even on block (still a bad idea), and King needs to sniff out an attack to trap shot it, or a projectile to D ver./EX Tornado kick through. Patience seems to be the main key in that situation. Throw out some far normals or Blowback attacks to try and stuff lows.

But man... it's online. I can't even do the rule of 2/3 due to the lag ;P I can't even hit confirm due to the lag.
    Da Illest Grammar Nazi
    • CommentAuthorskilletor
      0 points
    Training mode. use it. lots of things are hard if you don't train.
  6. Member
    • CommentAuthorRomora
      0 points
    Someone should come over on wednesday with KoF cause i need to play more than 1 character!
    • CommentAuthorHalfro
      1 point
    Best practices with kof13 and corners is to not get there. Hold your ground in footsies and contain jumpers. ST rule of thumb still applies: Don't get get knocked down and Don't get cornered. Also guard cancel rolling light attacks is generally a bad idea because you are not really in a better situation. You wasted a meter and you probably be in another block string immediately after coming into your hittable phase. In the corner you can try a few things but they should be primarily reactionary:

Aa a small jump or high jump attempt
    Blowback a non meaty jump attack or special.
    Whiff punish a bad poke attempt.

Rolling is less than desirable, don't jump and don't flail. Accept that you are in a bad position and think your way out.
  8. Member
    • CommentAuthorRomora
      0 points
    Thanks for the advice. I will take that into account when i play. I still need 2 more characters!
    • CommentAuthorPedro
      3 points
    If you guys are having a hard time being in the corner, just remember these three rules:

1. Don't roll.
    2. Don't Panic.
    3. Look for openings.

Or just be like Robert and jump from walls. :)

All EX characters are tourney acceptable. And yes, Mr. Karate is awesome.
  10. Member
    • CommentAuthorIsaak
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2012
      0 points
    Pedro:
    If you guys are having a hard time being in the corner, just remember these three rules:

1. Don't roll.
    2. Don't Panic.
    3. Look for openings.

Or just be like Robert and jump from walls. :)

billy too is great at creating space if he is cornered
    Trace Buster Buster
    • CommentAuthorKrsJin
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2012 edited
      0 points
    You can't be thrown after a jump in D if you land it deep enough. In fact you still have frame advantage to do any of the 4 normals. The reason you're erring thrown before a crouching B is just the active frames of the throw starting before the active frames of your crouching B. the more you play the more te frame logic will click.

As far as rush down, sometimes you can't get creative depending on how calm, knowledgable or twitchy your opponent is. Learn your age jumps and don't allow any gaps between your block strings. If they begin to panic and start doing DPs, start baiting those cause punishing a whiffed or blocked DP in this game is huge. Sometimes it's death with enough meter.

EDIT: ignore my comment. Internet where I'm at is sketch and showed an old post as being new.
    Rip the Jacker
    • CommentAuthorRecon
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2012
      0 points
    after jump ins i go for close hard normals now(should you be doing this anyway) and just add in a F+C or D and that'll usually tech the throw.
    • CommentAuthorHalfro
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2012
      0 points
    You guys got some vids? I can post some of mine if you want to see me lose to billy a bit haha
  14. Member
      0 points
    Today I will attempt to learn some of this game
      0 points
    Is there anyway to get replays I've recorded from online games onto a computer? I played some 4-bar matches this evening that felt lagless, so it'd be cool to know I can get those up in the future.
  16. Member
    • CommentAuthorKendrick
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2012 edited
      0 points
    Been messing around and surprisingly, actually finding ways to make Mai and Mature useful even at a lower non-1000-dmg combo level. They aren't all looks, afterall.

Mature's s.lk is a low, and combos very easily into her supers (not her Neomax) or her qcb+P stuff. Her Neomax is very easy to Max-cancel off her supers in an HD combo or to tack on to her EX Fireball if it connects/hit-confirms. Her s.lk is a godsend to newbies like me that have trouble with a lot of BnB's and links.

Mai has a super-easy BnB of c.lk(x2),s.lk, s.HK. Her Airthrow has a very high success rate, and j.HP is good anyway, if you do that instead. Her Neomax is good to bait people into.

All the above is very basic-newbie-friendly type stuff, but at my level, it's a big deal. I wasn't really using these characters much but decided to give them a whirl.

My practice-mode Kula is god-like but I can't seem to do anything decent with her in a real match.

Ash is all basic-combos and zoning, but he seems to do the best for me on average. Still not sure how to pull an entire team together though.

Ps. Also, fuck Kyo. Goddamnit. I'm going to start learning him tonight. I've been beasted by him like a hundred times now, in KoF13 alone.
    Trace Buster Buster
    • CommentAuthorKrsJin
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2012
      2 points
    (Place holder to remind me to finally write up feed-back and think of what CO needs to work on)
  18. Member
      0 points
    I like k thats all I know so far
  19. Member
    • CommentAuthorKendrick
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2012
      0 points
    I think Chin is an undercover newb-friendly character. I like his mash-friendly combos.
    • CommentAuthorPedro
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2012 edited
      0 points
    I pretty much play around with every character in this game...Hit me up online if you need the practice GT: RIOT IORI

AND it'll help if you have a mic... :)