Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/protost/public_html/extrafresh/forum/extensions/Nugget/default.php on line 68

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/protost/public_html/extrafresh/forum/extensions/Nugget/default.php on line 96
extrafreshnet - Arcade Stick Modding Thread AKA (Guapo's Workshop)
Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Sup?!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorjoeyorion
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2012
      0 points
    Will this thing will let me use my xbox HORI HRAP VX-SA on my PS3? If so, I will buy one right now.
  2. Asian #2
    • CommentAuthorAZN#1
      0 points
    joeyorion:
    Will this thing will let me use my xbox HORI HRAP VX-SA on my PS3? If so, I will buy one right now.

I don't see why not...I'll try it with my dual modded TE stick to see if the usb does anything weird and funky to it.
    Big Boss
    • CommentAuthorhydro
      0 points
    Sweet Saeng! Hell yeah try it out with tekken and report back :D
  4. Asian #2
    • CommentAuthorAZN#1
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2012 edited
      0 points
    Alright....finally had a chance to really sit down to do more testing using what I have to test with, here's what I got...

1. You DO need a wired xbox360 controller if you want to use ps2/ps3 controllers on the xbox. The reason being is because xbox has a security chip that needs to be bypassed in order to use the ps3 controllers and you can bypass by using the wired xbox360 controller. You have to do this EVERY time you want to use a ps2/ps3 controller but only after it's been shut down.

2. The USB did NOT recognize my dual modded TE stick and will not work. I don't think this is a big deal since the TE stick is already dual modded...I don't have a non dual modded xbox360 or ps3 stick so I'm not sure if it's because of the dual mod or not that's not being recognized.

3. To use the ps3 dual shock wirelessly on the xbox360 you need to first sync the bluetooth dongle to a desired ps3 controller using a PC/Mac. If you were to resync the ps3 pad back to your ps3 then you'll have to sync it to your dongle again to use it. I would recommend having one main controller for this if you wish to use it wirelessly. Once they've been paired up, all you need to do is insert the bluetooth dongle into the Cronus USB and your controller will connect to the dongle automatically. If you do not want to use the dongle, you can just use the USB ps3 wire and connect that straight from your controller to the Cronus USB adapter and it will work right away. This will save you a lot of time if you just use it wired...I've noticed NO lag while playing tekken on the xbox360 using both the wired/wireless connection from my ps3 controller. I used this tutorial to pair up my ps3 controller to the dongle.

ps3 sync

4. To use an xbox360 wireless controller, you just need to plug in the receiver that comes with the package into the cronus usb adapter to pair them up. If you have a wired controller you obviously don't need the receiver and can simply plug and play. I've tested this using my madcatz fightpad and my wireless xbox controller and noticed no lag while playing tekken on the ps3.

5. Here's the part I didn't like....I tested my psx hori stick and ps2 pad again using a ps2-to-ps3 adapter and this time I did notice lag. The lag is extremely noticeable on the xbox as well because the input will come out about a sec later. I went back and tested the same stick/controller on my ps3 and the lag was not there so it definitely had to do with the Cronus USB. This might not work for someone who wishes to use a non ps3 stick/pad to play on an xbox360 system.

Soooo...if you have a pad/stick that is made for the ps3/xbox360 then I would recommend getting this if you mind carrying a wired xbox360 controller with you so that you can use your ps3 stick/pad on the xbox. If you want to use a controller/stick from an older generation model then this might not work for you. It might just be my stick and I will gladly bring it to the next tournament for people to this their shit on but if you're impatient like me then BUY it now and try it for yourself! This adapter works on a mouse/keyboard too but i didn't bother to do any testing with that...
    • CommentAuthorRedbeard
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012
      0 points
    need a new keyboard made guapo, when you read this please reply back so i know I have the ok to mail all the parts to you.
  6. Member
    • CommentAuthorFemoral
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012
      0 points
    Saeng - do you know if you can use an xbox360 stick, non dual modded, to use as a recognizable device for using a ps3 controller on xbox?
  7. Asian #2
    • CommentAuthorAZN#1
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012
      0 points
    Femoral:
    Saeng - do you know if you can use an xbox360 stick, non dual modded, to use as a recognizable device for using a ps3 controller on xbox?

That I do not know because i don't have a non modded stick. I use my 360 fightpad as my recognizable device for my ps3 controller and haven't ran into any issues with it.
    • CommentAuthorspineshark
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2012 edited
      0 points
    Alright, so I'm looking for a dual mod and a small bit of rewiring. Right now I've got a box with a Cthulu MC in it, and I can sacrifice either a wireless controller or a 360 stick for the other PCB. Kind of frustrated realizing I've waited way too long for this already, but if somebody who does this stuff can tell me where we can meet up then I just want to get this taken care of as soon as I can.
    Mash D
    • CommentAuthorBig D
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2012
      0 points
    I really wanna test the that out on the fighting edge pro seang. can you bring that stuff to the tournament at safe house this weekend?
  10. Asian #2
    • CommentAuthorAZN#1
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2012
      0 points
    I wasn't planning on going the safe house tournament because I have to be somewhere around 3 but since I'll be down south, I can stop by. How long are you planning to be there?!? I've used it many times and haven't had any complaints on it so far. I did lose connection to my ps3 controller while playing it on the xbox once tho but resynching it was easy.
    Tha Sho-Stoppa!!
    • CommentAuthorKS Shogun
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2012
      0 points
    Is there any way to make my stick more silent with the buttons and the stick?
    Team Tiger's Milk / Mayor of Fresh
    • CommentAuthorstikfiga
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2012
      2 points
    This just came in:

I'll install it in the morning and let you guys know how it is.
    Hopefully super silent 360s and 720s are in my future.
    Big Boss
    • CommentAuthorhydro
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2013
      0 points
    AZN#1:
    hydro:
    anybody know about these?

they claim zero lag. seems... legit? :X randomly read about them the other day, so I dunno..

So I ordered one of these and got it on Friday...I can for sure say this DOES NOT lag! I only tried xbox controllers on ps3 though but I'll test out ps3 on xbox sometime later....Played COD and Marvel on it using my madcatz fight pad and using the regular wireless xbox controller...I'm thinking this will put dual modding out of business in the future....

hey saeng you still using this thing? how's it holding up?
    • CommentAuthorsaivE
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2013
      0 points
    Couldn't find a WTB thread but this is most relevant to my request.

WTB dualmodded ps3 controller or ps3 to xbox converter.

Checking if anyone has one for sale before I buy one online.
    Cash ready.

tyty
      0 points
    Hello,

I am new to the online forum thing but anywho lol
    I was told by a friend this would be the place to ask if someone could tell me how to make a custom arcade stick?

I want to make one for my ps3 and I love my MVS so i would love to make it NEO GEO inspired.
    I am a fast learner and any pointers would be awesome :)

thanks! :)
    Team Tiger's Milk / Mayor of Fresh
    • CommentAuthorstikfiga
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2013
      0 points
    Post pics of your MVS please.
      0 points

Hope the picture shows up :)
    (sorry never added a photo on here)
      0 points
    BIG GAMBLES
    • CommentAuthorChavelo
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2013 edited
      4 points

Fixed. :)

Do you want to create an arcade stick from scratch? Or do you want to modify a premade one? I think the latter is a good starting point for people that want to actually create their own stick down the road, for experience and whatnot.

I would suggest you start with changing the art/hardware of a Madcatz TE or Pro PS3 stick (or any other commercial fightstick with sanwa parts), which in reality is not difficult at all. So, the buttons, joystick, and art are the only things that would be replaced.

Let's take a look of the Neo-Geo MVS cab panel...

They use bat tops for the joystick and four buttons. You could either replace the metal top part plus the art so you only have four buttons to use on the stick, but if you do want to use it for the ps3, it would be best if you left the other buttons just in case (for other games).

http://www.focusattack.com/ is a good site to get arcade stick parts such as buttons and joysticks. They got a wide variety of colors so finding the red, yellow, green and blue buttons should be pretty easy, plus the battop.

http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/?loc=products is a good resource to replace the art on the arcade stick. Just create the design in Photoshop or GIMP, send them the finished image, and they will send you a cut-out print for your fightstick, plus a plexi cover to protect it. You could also print the art at your local Kinko's, cut it out yourself, and order a plexi from Focus Attack if you'd like.

Some example of what a Neo Geo MVS fighstick can look like:
    This one is a Qanba fighstick, modified to look like a MVS panel. It has a battop, the top 3 buttons and bottom left button that match, and the rest set as white buttons.

This one is a Madcatz TE. It also has a battop, but the buttons were not replaced.

I'm not an expert in creating/modifying sticks, but I'm damn good at finding (googling :P) forum/site resources to build/change your own fightstick, so I can make another post if you DO want to make your own stick. Feel free to reply with any questions that you might have.
      0 points
    hello Chavelo :)

Thank you so much for your reply!
    I am a gluten for pain and I am looking to make one from an old Ps3 controller lol
    Wish me luck >.< lol

I really love the pics of the MVS styled arcade sticks.

I have a friend who told me about a Cthulu?
    I think I am going to use one of these but I am curious about grounding issues....

On my arcade cab, the Happa buttons have a power and ground per button and since I am trying to make it look like an original MVS stick I am curious if the PCB on a ps3 controller has a spot for ground?

Thank you so much for your help!