Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Sup?!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    Da Illest Grammar Nazi
    • CommentAuthorskilletor
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014 edited
      0 points
    Gnarr:
    What if we developed some kind of system for feedback on game play?

For example, if someone posts a video asking for feedback of their play, we could break it down into categories like footsies, neutral game, defense, mix ups, etc. That way the people critiquing would have to give specific feedback instead of general analysis. I think the little details would help players a lot more than an overall picture.

It would also help if the player asking for feedback had certain areas they wanted to improve on.

http://www.extrafresh.net/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1937&page=5#Item_11

Thread died quick.
  2. Member
    • CommentAuthorFemoral
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014
      0 points
    JiveAshTurkey:
    I'd say, if the tournament organizers could do it, run tournaments more often.
    Tournaments give people a goal, and more incentive for training.
    If people want online tourneys make sure there is a balance between the two.
    Plus I think players should start trying to go out to more majors.
    That's one of the best ways to get Colorado some more exposure.
    Then players can bring back out of state experience to the local players.

Too many tounements being run causes burnout. we have been through that before. month to every other month seems to be the sweetspot there.
  3. Stream Master B
    • CommentAuthorBenchi
      4 points
    Tournament Organizers should quit doing tournaments and go more casual. In a Tournament atmosphere most people don't get to play much. New/Bad players get double pieced and leave immediately. I think a more casual scene is what we need, it would allow players to get more games in and build friendships.

Areas of Improvement:

Having gatherings more accessible - meaning less weekday gatherings or finding a day that works better for people that work m-f
    Better players need to help out newer/worst players more - if you blow someone up try to help him out on how to approach the matchup
    Online Games - Get on IRC and arrange a lobby for a game, online a good tool for people that cant get out as much

Maybe fundamental classes most people dont even know how to improve or where to start.
  4. Member
      0 points
    We've only had stations not shut down at a couple tournaments recently, def think we should do that tho.

Also think we should make sure finals get streamed or recorded if streaming isn't possible.
  5. Member
    • CommentAuthorsm0ke52
      8 points
    So I just moved here recently (about 1.5 years but only stumbled upon EFL and the CO FGC like 4 months ago), I was originally from Northern California and I will say that the FGC here in Colorado is sooo different. I don't want to sound like an asshole but the overall motivation in CO is tiers below what I experienced in norcal. What I mean by that is when I was in NorCal I was always around players that were motivated to get better. Always looking for places to session and constantly talking about match-ups and strategy, and this wasn't just on a pro level. Even low level players were constantly trying to get better and the high level players were more than helpful in improving the overall scene.

As an outsider to the CO FGC I've noticed that players here seem to stick to their own groups instead of being one complete group as it is in NorCal. I understand that where you're located has a big part in that but in order to grow as a scene we need to improve on being a more proactive scene. Online is a good way to practice sure, but not the most efficient. Nobody I knew back in norcal played online as a way to "get better", it was always going over to someones house and playing long sets and talking about what they can improve on and how to deal with certain situations etc. Even if it was just with one other player, it's miles beyond better than playing online IMO. I met 72b for the first time at EVO and we ran a pretty long set and I learned A LOT just from that little session we had, not just match-up knowledge but also reactions against things that I normally would had just brushed off.

What I'm trying to say is that we need to make the extra effort to go out more and meet players that we haven't played against before or that we haven't played against enough. Hell it doesn't have to be a huge 10 man gathering but even a small 2-3 man gathering can greatly increase your knowledge/reactions alone. Talking about match-ups and also other players flaws and habits are the best ways to get better. And of course when you are playing with someone else it's not just yourself that you're helping but the other player and even players watching as well.

Sorry for the long write-up but I just feel like the potential of this scene can be so much greater, I have players back in NorCal that I used to body for free and now they are on the same level or even better than I am now in such a short time spam. Just goes to show that the hungrier the scene is the greater the pay out will be.

I am always willing to help any players whether it's a place to session at (my place on wednesdays), match-up knowledge/tips, learning the game in general (I'm not an amazing player but I know the game extremely well and have taught many players), or just someone to play with. I take the game seriously even if it's casuals because I honestly want to get better than my pals in norcal and if it requires that I have to level up the CO scene then I will try my hardest to do whatever I can to make that happen.
    The Man Scout
    • CommentAuthorLogos
      0 points
    skilletor:
    Gnarr:
    What if we developed some kind of system for feedback on game play?

For example, if someone posts a video asking for feedback of their play, we could break it down into categories like footsies, neutral game, defense, mix ups, etc. That way the people critiquing would have to give specific feedback instead of general analysis. I think the little details would help players a lot more than an overall picture.

It would also help if the player asking for feedback had certain areas they wanted to improve on.

http://www.extrafresh.net/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1937&page=5#Item_11

Thread died quick.

And this one before that. Probably have been others as well.
  7. Member
      2 points
    Benchi:
    Tournament Organizers should quit doing tournaments and go more casual. In a Tournament atmosphere most people don't get to play much. New/Bad players get double pieced and leave immediately. I think a more casual scene is what we need, it would allow players to get more games in and build friendships.

Areas of Improvement:

Having gatherings more accessible - meaning less weekday gatherings or finding a day that works better for people that work m-f
    Better players need to help out newer/worst players more - if you blow someone up try to help him out on how to approach the matchup
    Online Games - Get on IRC and arrange a lobby for a game, online a good tool for people that cant get out as much

Maybe fundamental classes most people dont even know how to improve or where to start.

Agree with all of these. Being someone who's probably not going go deep into tournament brackets, my main motivation to come out to tournaments is to play casual sets with players who are better than I am to level up my game. A tournament (or at least the ones I've been to here) isn't a good place to do that as all of the setups are usually being used for actual tournament matches. I realize this type of casual play is what gatherings are for but playing games until late at night on weeknights is pretty inconvenient and not something I can do on a regular basis. Some larger gatherings dedicated to more casual matches on the weekend would be what I'd like to see.
    KICK THE TREE
    • CommentAuthorFoxisquick
      2 points
    Comparing one of the largest scenes period vs our scene is a bit bizzare to me. I do agree with some points you made there but others are hard to compare because you have a small sample size of Colorado vs Norcal...

Everyone here needs to really understand what we are talking about when we say online. Online is a method to gain MORE practice. That's all that is being said. Snake ocved team norcal not JUST because of his offline play. He also did it because he was the most active and highest rated gief #1 in BP and the #1 rated gief in PP online. He understands using both live and online play as a mode for getting stronger and that's what all the online supporters (myself included) are advocating. That it's fine to play live but your community may not have a viper that's as good as latif, but guess what you can play him online.

72b the guy you're talking about plays tons of live and online. He uses both and both to the max. He is very strong because of it. I don't think we need to keep touching on the live vs online. I don't think you'll find a top player who disagrees with the matchup benefits of online. Most of the top pros are also avid online players.

Motivation lies in each person. There are plenty of gatherings in each city that go on a weekly basis. If people want to they are welcome to them. I was at a gathering last month that had like 20 some people. Shogun and Myself are two very strong usf4 players. Where were the denver players? Obviously because driving down on a thursday to stay in colorado springs to 11pm is not optimal for a working person. So i don't fault them. But it's not as easy to just show up to gatherings from a state wide scale on a regular basis.

I think that in the end motivation is the responsibility of the person and the strong players will always find a way to keep themselves strong. If anyone needs motivation it's the mid level player who only believes they are a top player here. I think we all agree that we want to be helpful to the community and that's what the purpose of this thread is. Finding ways to squeeze out more productivity in our community.
    • CommentAuthorHellFire
      8 points
    I have talked about this with others before and it was supposed to be implemented into the Mile High Burst weekly gatherings, but we never got around to doing it.

We had talked about the idea of doing a "Critical Kumite" for all our players. The idea is pretty simple and straight forward. One player in the community is chosen and runs a gauntlet of best 2 out of 3s against all the other players. All the matches would be streamed and recorded. The idea of being on stream gives the player a sense of pressure do to them being on stream and potential viewers watching their matches.
    Then at a later gathering, everyone sits down and watches the recorded matches and ask questions or gives advice on certain situations. This way, the player chosen can not only see their own mistakes, but can get a different perspective on matches as the player they fought against helps to give insight as to what they were trying to do or what they were looking out for. Then at another gathering, a different player is chosen and the process is repeated.
    I heart boobs
    • CommentAuthorAuraWind
      1 point
    HellFire:
    We had talked about the idea of doing a "Critical Kumite" for all our players.

This is probably the greatest fresh idea ever.
    • CommentAuthorPedro
      3 points
    We actually do this with our small KCO group! I believe that's why we are all on the same level.

Everyone here has made a good point! I believe playing online helps learn styles, adaptation and match ups. I play on steam all the time and I also stream it for everyone to watch and give criticism on the chat. I also strongly agree with offline sessions, specially in a game that is heavy on execution. Some things you can't teach, and can only be learned in person through experience. Personally, I would have to say that traveling like I did this year improved my game in fighters tremendously. I honestly believe that I would have not been able to hang with the top KOF players if I didn't travel this year. I wish I would have done this when I was younger, my overall perception of tactics in fighters would have been more solid by now.

I REALLY REALLY like to see a player from CO make top 8 at EVO....I would be so happy! I know it's possible, it just takes dedication and passion. And honestly, we don't need a big community to do it!

In order for CO to get exposure, streaming is a big must at all events! I can use my 4G hotspot if there is a venue that does not have internet access, doing this will let everyone know that we are an active community! We need to let everyone know how good we are, or else how are we going to get respect?!?

And Fox let me know when you get your stream running so that i can follow!
  12. Member
      0 points
    Definitely need to get streaming back up at Safehouse for our sessions. Would be particularly good for the Kumites
  13. Member
      1 point
    Also Smoke you still doing stuff at your place? I'll try and make it out at least once every 2 weeks but I also wouldn't mind getting SF online against you though I still get murdered.

Also I'm gonna bring back BB ranbats at least on Friday or Thursday night, not having little tournaments I think is a bad thing. So for those who show up to safehouse at least, let's start doing the Kumite's and ranbats again. We kind of got off track with our awful attention span.

If Street fighter people show up I'd love to do the same with them.
  14. Member
    • CommentAuthorFemoral
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2014
      1 point
    Will probably look at bringing back arcade hour for BB crew in the near future. A lot of people leveled up fiercely during those sessions.