Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Sup?!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1. Member
    • CommentAuthorGnarr
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2014
      0 points
    whats the irc info again?
    Da Illest Grammar Nazi
    • CommentAuthorskilletor
      0 points
    #efltalk on EFNet
    Trace Buster Buster
    • CommentAuthorKrsJin
      3 points
    I'd still like to see finals be mandatory for people to watch at events unless there just isn't room to watch them reasonably.

I think having to watch top 3 for each game is great for everyone. Helps train those in finals to be 'up on stage'. Helps people analyze matches, helps gain interest in games.

Yeah I know it sucks when you got double peaced and want to play as many matches as possible and you don't give two squats about xx game, but try to just root for someone, or against someone, or just try to watch the thinking going into the match even if you don't play that game.

Would make finals more fun overall too, imo.
    I heart boobs
    • CommentAuthorAuraWind
      0 points
    KrsJin:
    I'd still like to see finals be mandatory for people to watch at events unless there just isn't room to watch them reasonably.

That's just common courtesy too, is this a newer occurrence? Pretty shitty/selfish of people not to participate in watching the finals for their own community.
  5. Member
      3 points
    Damn this whole "shut up and just play online shit" is sad. Glad KoF and BlazBlue have real life communities. Not this
    "I might as well be playing WoW alone in my room" mentality. If you have a family you have to take care of (wife/children/dying grandmother) or a combination of school/work I can completely understand why you can't make it out to gatherings. If you don't go cause you're too damn lazy to drive twenty to thirty minutes to a gathering then you are what's wrong with the Colorado SF community. I wake up at seven in the morning, work from 8-4 (5days a week),drive forty minutes to a gathering, leave between 10-12, then I wake up at seven again for work. If you have the time seriously just get the fuck out of your house, go play live games with people, make some real life friends, and help the community grow.
    Da Illest Grammar Nazi
    • CommentAuthorskilletor
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014
      4 points
    JiveAshTurkey:
    Damn this whole "shut up and just play online shit" is sad. Glad KoF and BlazBlue have real life communities. Not this
    "I might as well be playing WoW alone in my room" mentality. If you have a family you have to take care of (wife/children/dying grandmother) or a combination of school/work I can completely understand why you can't make it out to gatherings. If you don't go cause you're too damn lazy to drive twenty to thirty minutes to a gathering then you are what's wrong with the Colorado SF community. I wake up at seven in the morning, work from 8-4 (5days a week),drive forty minutes to a gathering, leave between 10-12, then I wake up at seven again for work. If you have the time seriously just get the fuck out of your house, go play live games with people, make some real life friends, and help the community grow.

Nobody ever said, "Don't ever play IRL, ever." People are saying that online is a tool that should be used to get practice. And if our best players are some of those that are too busy to make it out to gatherings, or they don't want to, or whatever, and online is the best way to play them, then it's stupid not to use online as a tool to get that practice.
    I heart boobs
    • CommentAuthorAuraWind
      0 points
    I believe this thread is meant for suggestions for improving the community. So far all I've seen is people chest thumping about live play.

Suggestions so far.
    1. Online events
    2. Mandatory finals participation
    3. ???
    Trace Buster Buster
    • CommentAuthorKrsJin
      1 point
    AuraWind:
    KrsJin:

That's just common courtesy too, is this a newer occurrence? Pretty shitty/selfish of people not to participate in watching the finals for their own community.

I don't think it's new, in-fact I think it's better than it was even 5 years ago. I think I've only been to maybe 5 ish tournies in-state where stations were turned off for finals lol.

In general people seem receptive to the idea of watching finals lately, I just think it needs to be more enforced if we're going to do it 'right'. Even at EVO, people would play during -those- finals if setups were running, it's only natural. Might have to be more militant on this if it's what we want haha.
    BIG GAMBLES
    • CommentAuthorChavelo
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014 edited
      2 points
    Psh, man. I dare you guys to try to make the KOF guys turn off all the stations and watch the finals for other games.

I dare you. :(
    Trace Buster Buster
    • CommentAuthorKrsJin
      0 points
    ^Haha, I think the'd be -ok- with it. It would mean a bigger audience for KoF too!
    KICK THE TREE
    • CommentAuthorFoxisquick
      1 point
    I would actually like to see a BK Big Fish without the Fish event again. For those who are too new to remember what this is. Me and a few guys ran a casual gathering at a large venue. We planned it out like a tournament and had everyone show up and play with us. We ran raffles and everything was 100% casual. We had like 10-15 stations running a NUMBER of things.

Everyone got food together, nothing was stressful and it was quite exciting. It was a great way for all parties to practice and catch up for a state wide type thing. I recall towards the evening everyone started to run tournaments on the fly for fun. We had sf4, tvc, tekken, mk2, ST, GG, BB, and a bunch of other games. It was really fun. It was also far easier to do then a tournament. I know now people run casual gatherings. I know i show up to them in the springs from time to time. But those are just a week to week thing and during the week. I don't recall the last time we had a large planned out gathering trying to get everyone to show up at a nice venue. BK event i think we ran in 2010.
    KICK THE TREE
      0 points
    Someone just reminded me, the BK gathering Recon was smashing srrwb at chess. That shit was hilarious. Yes we had board games there as well.
  13. Member
      2 points
    My suggestion is more live play. Look how well it's helped KoF and BlazBlue. They are definitely stronger than any other community. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great SF players here, I just feel like SF in general is scattered and unfocused. Online is a great tool, but you need balance between live and online. Online can only do so much for a community. "Why not have both" there really is no both, it's mostly online. This really doesn't apply to the players who have so many other priorities in their life that they only have 1-2 hours a day to get any practice. In those players case online is a godsend. I'm "chest thumping" about live play cause it's sad to see a live gathering do well for like two weeks, and then everyone stops showing up. For instance the SF player in Aurora, Justin. Every Wednesday before Evo was a great opportunity for live practice at his place. No entry fee. First couple of weeks like Ten players show up. I remember looking around and thinking, "wow there are actually SF players in this state. This is beautiful!" Sadly after a few weeks maybe only three or four people showed up. I'm irked about this because players abandoned something good for the community. You didn't have to sit at home to play. You had a place with free entry that wasn't to far away. This doesn't apply to Springs players I don't really know how you guys do things for SF up there. This is directed at Players in the denver area.

I'm sorry for the rant guys I'm just really passionate about people getting out together. I feel bad for the players that are unable to go out to be with people that have the same passion as them. I'm glad you have a tool like online or honestly fighting games couldn't really be a hobby for you

I look down on the players that have the time on their hands to go out and choose not to because they are too comfortable and too lazy to get out of their homes.
    Da Illest Grammar Nazi
    • CommentAuthorskilletor
      0 points
    Maybe it's that way in Denver. At least 7-10 people are playing SF4 every Thursday in the Springs.
    KICK THE TREE
      0 points
    i can 100% assure you that if kof had good online their community would be stronger.
    KICK THE TREE
      0 points
    Anyway i don't mean to derail this for an online thread. The top players understand what it takes to get better. I'm not here to debate it. Lets keep the focus on what DeRon is asking.
  17. Member
    • CommentAuthorGnarr
      3 points
    What if we developed some kind of system for feedback on game play?

For example, if someone posts a video asking for feedback of their play, we could break it down into categories like footsies, neutral game, defense, mix ups, etc. That way the people critiquing would have to give specific feedback instead of general analysis. I think the little details would help players a lot more than an overall picture.

It would also help if the player asking for feedback had certain areas they wanted to improve on.
      2 points
    play marvel :D?

guys???

guys......

/wrists
    The Man Scout
    • CommentAuthorLogos
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014 edited
      1 point
    Gnarr:
    What if we developed some kind of system for feedback on game play?

For example, if someone posts a video asking for feedback of their play, we could break it down into categories like footsies, neutral game, defense, mix ups, etc. That way the people critiquing would have to give specific feedback instead of general analysis. I think the little details would help players a lot more than an overall picture.

It would also help if the player asking for feedback had certain areas they wanted to improve on.

I tried to get that going before a couple times, always died pretty fast. If you can get it to stick I definitely think it would be good.
  20. Member
      0 points
    You are going to just have to play another game Justin :( Marvel is dead as fuck.

I'd say, if the tournament organizers could do it, run tournaments more often.
    Tournaments give people a goal, and more incentive for training.
    If people want online tourneys make sure there is a balance between the two.
    Plus I think players should start trying to go out to more majors.
    That's one of the best ways to get Colorado some more exposure.
    Then players can bring back out of state experience to the local players.