Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Sup?!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1. b27
    • CommentAuthorSeventy2B
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2014
      0 points
    I really like ultra 2 with t hawk...
    KICK THE TREE
    • CommentAuthorFoxisquick
      0 points
    I don't think anyone is sleeping on t.hawk if anything people are overrating him imo.
  3. b27
    • CommentAuthorSeventy2B
      0 points
    T hawk is solid mid tier methinks... But I think he's the 4th best grappler in sf4
  4. Member
    • CommentAuthorGnarr
      0 points
    who is above? gief, makoto, abel?
  5. b27
    • CommentAuthorSeventy2B
      1 point
    I don't consider makoto a grappler. Hakan is better
    • CommentAuthoroilyeye
      0 points
    Seventy2B:
    I don't consider makoto a grappler. Hakan is better

Would love more info on this. Is it just a matchup thing, or are there other reasons?
  7. Member
    • CommentAuthorGnarr
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2014
      0 points
    Has anyone tried the YouTube upload feature yet? I tried before I left, but I kept getting an error. Will try again this week.
  8. Member
    • CommentAuthorsm0ke52
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2014
      0 points
    Gnarr:
    Has anyone tried the YouTube upload feature yet? I tried before I left, but I kept getting an error. Will try again this week.

Youtube upload (for xbox at least) blows ass.
  9. b27
    • CommentAuthorSeventy2B
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2014
      0 points
    Sick boxer combo

Time stamp 2:15 Fox I won't consider you a real boxer player until I see you land this combo. Not sure if the ultra was worth it, but it sure impressed the hell outta me
  10. Member
    • CommentAuthorGnarr
      0 points
    that combo is sweet. what i want to know is how that akuma player is ranked #4. He must be the take your points and run type of player.
    KICK THE TREE
      0 points
    oh dear. combo has 4x 1 frame links including the fs.LP to ultra. quite difficult. i can do it, but i won't be doing it online that's for sure LOL too manly!!!
  12. b27
    • CommentAuthorSeventy2B
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2014
      0 points
    Ggs fox. Now that evo is over I'm spending some time really giving my boy baby Huey some love. Gotta say he's super fun once you get in the zone with him. I think he's better than I originally gave him credit for. His main problem is he has no legit answer for fireballs or good zoning in general. Every way he has to get in is a super big risk that costs meter and can be reacted too. But his dash is soooo quick, that's why I started using ultra 1 because it's legit too fast to react too. Short meat squasher is super good too, before I would only try canceling into but, but it's actually quick enough also that it's very tough to react to if you arnt expecting it. And I don't know if there is a combo in the game that's as satisfying to hit than the triple clap combo. Landing a random heavy clap and seeing that counter hit feels like Christmas.

...that being said... He's hands down the worst character in the game.
    KICK THE TREE
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2014
      0 points
    He is clearly terrible. Playing him is a waste of time unless you want to prove a point in a tournament that you can win with that goon. But he is really cool and fun to play against. Especially with rufus.

Yeah i know you have such a passion for u2 on grapplers. but in his case his dash is impossible to read and u1 becomes a monster move in that situation. But lol getting close is a joke. He's so bad.
    Tha Sho-Stoppa!!
    • CommentAuthorKS Shogun
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2014
      9 points
  15. b27
    • CommentAuthorSeventy2B
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2014
      4 points
    Lol, " you guys all from Colorado?"
    "Yeah we're from Colorado"
    "Do you guys know Halfro?"
    "Yeah we know Halfro"
    "I HATE HALFRO"
  16. Member
    • CommentAuthorGnarr
      0 points
    I would like feedback on these games. This is a partial set from last night with 72b.

I think I'm not throwing enough fireballs and fighting for 3/4 range enough. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_m8VNTt_d8DH4FkhjdljR7jVkw3zdWeV
    KICK THE TREE
      0 points
    game1: round1: doing HP upper just to regain tempo is fine after the 1st exgh. The 2nd time is a really big risk, since he knows you're capable i would have jumped back. Towards the end of the round you use 2 bars of meter. after doing c.MK and doing ex fireball. He is not going to focus your fireball so why ex? if he exgh then he goes through it anyway. Far better to just normal fireball and if you confirm a hit just fadc and complete the combo.
    round2: you had a lead and for some reason you decided to challenge his reactions with a jump. Easiest AA for him ever. You also lose tempo of the round and your life lead after the forward throw. Jumpsin should only really occur when you're desperate not when you are in the lead with a lot of meter.

game2: round1: you try to do jab jab jab c.HK. jab jab c.HP xx tatsu way more optimal and better screen control. You really seem to rush rounds with throwing fireballs. You have a lot of time. Don't rush it, take your time with the space and find the right times to c.MK or fireball. I think sometimes you just get trigger happy and you end up getting hit. You say that you aren't throwing enough fireballs. I think sometimes you might be throwing too many. Don't rush it.
    round2: at 80 seconds you have the lead. you throw less fireballs. Just poke there is no rush here. at 70 seconds you throw a fireball that gets jumped. Before that you were really doing fine with eating the clock away. You were basically mid screen, there isn't any reason to throw a fireball unless you know it's perfect distance so just lame him out. Once he jumped it you lost the round

game3: round1: this is good. Notice once you start to take a lead he has to start coming in, then you can punish him for being too aggressive. Be careful with c.HK with new gh you really have to be perfect with it so don't use it as much. the f+HP is really risky but it paid off. You had a big lead and if it didn't pan out for you may have cost you the game.
    round2: Good early control. Then he exgh you and then you decide to upper him. If you jump backed and he hit you with s.MP you'd still have a life lead. So risky to do this. You cannot give free opportunities to gief for damage. Also there is no reason to jump back tatsu after the landed ex fireball. I'd have double tatsu or single tatsu forward. You always want to be in that sweet spot range to control him. Notice as soon as you whiff that dp he takes like 90% of your life. Was it worth the gamble? You jump so much LOL stop! Lariat is so easy to do and even on trade it's good for him.
    round3: that game was fun. No comments you both played weird.

game4: round1: so you DP after f+HP and you knock him down. Great. 2nd time around he blocks you lose round.. lol?
    round2: you are backing up too easily. Make him work for that space. NICE see how you not throwing fireballs is making him try to commit to stuff. EVERY ROUND SHOULD BE LIKE THIS
    round3: You throw less fireballs and the rounds are closer. Random tatsu caused you to take damage but overall this round is a lot more patient and how each round should be every single time.

game5: round1: Looks like you're understanding things better. Less mistakes on your part to give up free damage. More eating the clock away waiting for brandon to force his way in. This is good.
    round2: c.MK xx fireball unsafe gotta remember that range.. EX fireballs when he has meter are only good when you do them that close. Well played. You lost this round but it was better hten before.
    round3: jump into lariat = you die. =[

game6: round1: You fell for the empty jump range. That's why you need to use s.HK way more or even sometimes just c.MK him on the way down is also fine. He has no meter so it's ok. Those DPS. It worked but at least he had a big lead so i'm more ok with taking risks in those situations.
    round2: jumping in lol. This round is fine. You lost this game but not because you played weak. You did the right things in the end he still had to gamble with a jumpin. So i think this game was fine.

last few thoughts. gief has a ton of life and can take all yours in a 10 seconds when he's up close. All trades are awlays in his favor unless it's vs sagat. So trying to fight him too much or gamble vs him is really a huge risk that should only be down when you have no choice.

Slow the game down and grind it out. You still seem to have trouble doing this even after years. It's ok to play an ugly game. Gief is unique you have no choice. I play rufus vs gief and that matchup is not favorable so i have no choice but to grind it out with c.HP and pokes and i can't dive kick at all. It sucks but the alternative is dying to gief. Either way the set was fun to watch.
  18. b27
    • CommentAuthorSeventy2B
      0 points
    Few things I noticed.

I don't know why you use red focus when you cancel your uppercut. There is no reason to do this, ex red focus has no armor nor adds any less frame disadvantage than regular fadc. The only reason I can see if maybe your fishing for a crumple by letting the focus go, be even if your going for this, your just as likely to get the crumple of a counter hit normal fadc, no need to burn the extra bar.

Sweeps, very good move but very punishable. I actually didn't know that you can space it so regular green hand will miss, but I can always ex gh. I'm not saying don't do it, but for as unsafe a move it is, I thought you threw it out a little recklessly.

This is more about your mindset. You seem you get frustrated at point and really start to challenge me in my happy zone. It's like pride takes over and your like "I'm not scared to fight you up close". This is a problem. Gief absolutely owns the space directly in front of him, that is where he drains your life in mere seconds. Challenging him to a fight in this space will cost you in the long run. It's a long term loser, yes you may guess right a couple times and win the exchange, but if you mess up once, it's can be lights out. How many times did fox say "you messed up once and lost the round". Ryu just doesn't have the tools to compete with gief fighting up close (not many characters do) and over a period of time, you will take far far more damage than you dis out with this strat. You play directly into gief's strengths while at the same time, ignoring ryu's. Now I'm not saying you should never ever fight gief up close, sometimes you have too and for the sake up being unpredictable, sometimes it's good to sneak in and try something tricky. But as a gief player, if I feel like somebody isn't respecting my space, I have no problem throwing out a wake up spd or something to remind you "this is MY space! And you WILL respect it!" Plus it's just not needed, Ryu has plenty of tools to fight gief and a much less risky space, the rounds you do best are the ones where your fireballs are unpredictable and you aa's are on point, forcing me to make risky guesses. Don't let frustration get the best of you, play to your strengths, ggs!
  19. Member
    • CommentAuthorGnarr
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2014 edited
      0 points
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

I do struggle with just slowing down, particularly in this match. It's one that feels very tough and you can never get lazy in the gief match up.

Fox: it helps to hear that I'm sometimes throwing too many. Instead I can just chill out and play safe

72b: you are correct about me getting reckless in gief close range. It's almost always a bad idea and it's not worth it. I will work on fighting more my space more like you mentioned.

As for red focus fadc that is an accident. Bad habit from over the years of plinking uppercuts.

Edit: it really helps to finally have video footage of my play. I always try to remember things in my head but it's so much easier to watch footage. I will be out of town this week so I will watch these matches a thousand times and study.
  20. Member
    • CommentAuthorMr1one
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014
      0 points