Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Sup?!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
      0 points
    how do i beat akuma?
    KICK THE TREE
      0 points
    who are you playing justin
      0 points
    poison
  4. Member
      0 points
    Jesus another one. So Many poisons.
    • CommentAuthorHellFire
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2014
      0 points
    It doesn't matter how many there are. I'm going to be the best!
  6. Member
    • CommentAuthorGnarr
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2014 edited
      0 points
    i.f.s justinvigil:
    how do i beat akuma?

walk towards him and don't try to play the full screen game. you will lose.

You can probably punish jump back fireballs with ex fb with poision too.
    Rip the Jacker
    • CommentAuthorRecon
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2014
      0 points
    Gnarr:
    i.f.s justinvigil:
    how do i beat akuma?

walk towards him and don't try to play the full screen game. you will lose.

You can probably punish jump back fireballs with ex fb with poision too.

she probably can't beat the guy..or its at least a hard match up. you have to be able to stay on top of akuma she doesnt seem to be a rush down character at all. Adon has a field day on her even though he's low mid.

If Adon could do meaningful damage to crouching opponents he would be high mid.
  8. b27
    • CommentAuthorSeventy2B
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2014 edited
      0 points
    Red focus does a crap ton of damage, do NOT get stunned by gief with a headbutt when he has 2 bars. Just messing in training mode, if gief gets a stun off one hit (most likely headbutt) lev 3 red focus plus full ultra 1 = 637 damage whereas before his most damaging option was to go straight into ultra 1 w/o the lev 3 focus for 537 damage. W/o ultra he can still lev 3 red focus to fierce spd for 499 damage or r. Focus into too late for 478 damage if you want the positioning. For sure worth the 2 bars for an extra 100 damage basically.
  9. Member
    • CommentAuthorGnarr
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2014 edited
      0 points
    I can see why Evil Ryu is so good. Played this guy yesterday who would take 50% of my health if I would whiff a cr.mk. I feel like e.ryus options aren't technically that great, there is just such a high reward for landing a punish. It almost felt like set play.

Also played one of the top Juri players. I think he may have been the #1 juri player - not sure. I am very uncomfortable with that match. Trying to navigate the fireball maze was quite the challenge. I was pretty much zoned out flawlessly and had no idea how to get in. It's expensive here trying to learn match ups haha.

I spoke with Amerikan - The guy who has been living in Japan and got really good at SF with Sagat in Vanilla. You all might remember him from a post he did on SRK where everyone picked his brain about SF4 when it first came out. He was actually one of the higher rated Sagat players and could hang with Mago an co.

He made a large emphasis on how it's important to really slow down and play safe. He says the playstyle here is very calculated. It was fun watching him because he would throw out DPs during peoples block strings a lot to interrupt them, he got baited most of the time LMAO. Seemed very American of him to do that. He would play safe most of the time and point out how people were looking for certain situations.

One thing I didn't realize is that Japan doesn't have the console version yet. They have to learn everything at the arcade which can add up. So in other words, those of you going to evo use Decapre!

I have only been to the arcade once since I have been here. I am going to go today for an hour or two.

People play very safe here for the most part. I guess we all kind of know that because of YouTube vids. It's always different playing in person though. No one wants to give anything away. I learned the hard way not to open myself up unless I think I have the read on someone. It's not worth 50% HP and a stun for getting desperate in the neutral game.

People have their punishes down though. Weird situational punishes, big whiff punishes, etc. You really have to make someone pay for making a mistake.

Been playing Akuma mostly. Wanted to see how I can hang with the big dogs. I am really struggling with DWU haha. I don't know how to adjust for it yet so people pretty much use it all the time against me. Their mix up is to never regular wake up =(

More info later!
    KICK THE TREE
    • CommentAuthorFoxisquick
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2014
      0 points
    e.ryu options are extremely good. He can flat out foots normally vs most of the cast. On top of that he has big damage easily confirmed. his c.HK isn't as good as say ryu or akumas but his c.MK is better then all shotos and his s.MK is one of the best period.

Also his far fierce changes are super good, same with akumas. E.ryu also benefits from the DWU because he doesn't need oki to get his damage. I think you underestimate his neutral game. But you should put more time into him so you can see for yourself.

I've played enough games vs PR. His confirms are great but man e.ryu can flat out just foots with so much of the cast.
    KICK THE TREE
      0 points
    Really excited to see Evo. I have no clue who is going to do well or not. Even the strongest characters in this game are barely stronger then some of the cast. There is a good balance with this huge cast, and hopefully we'll see that with some character diversity at Evo.
  12. Member
    • CommentAuthorsm0ke52
      0 points
    I've been playing a ton of E. Ryu (swear I'm not band wagoning) and you can seriously stun players in two combos. His mid range game is insane with his cr.mk, st.mk, st mp/stmp tc for focus break and a 6f sweep. Above average fireball game and possibly the best ultra of the shotos (ultra 2 = DP FADC and red focus) for insane damage. If you end up in the corner against a e ryu he can actually cr.mk fireball into red focus pretty easily which makes it better than yun's shoulder > RF. Def the best shoto and for sure on of the best characters currently.

Akuma on the other hand is arguably better in this version. His combos are more dangerous and most importantly more consistent. His footsie game and fireball game was already ridiculous before but now with better/consistent damage combos he is mad scary. DWU just means learning more setups which you already have 100000000 setups so a few more won't hurt. Just check out infilitration at e3 and dreamhack Mark! Godlike... More stories of the Japanese tho I'm quite curious how you are doing against an "average" player over there.
  13. Member
    • CommentAuthorGnarr
      0 points
    Hmmm I will look more into E.Ryu. I didn't realize his strength until I played some good players.

I do think Akuma is still ok. The hardest part will be adjusting to DWU. I'm sure set ups will come out soon for the timing.

I do just fine against average players. The biggest difference I notice is they seem to have a better understanding of footsies and just play safer in general than most US players. People just play at a slower pace. I think it's the fact that you have to pay a dollar to sit and wait to play. Getting blown up and making stupid mistakes just isn't worth it.

I got a big win streak the other day against a E.ryu. The arcade runs 3/5 rounds here which is fun. Then I lost to a chun-li =( DAMN YOU PETER!!!!!!!

Once the big dogs show up (after they get off work) people start to spectate more than they play. They probably don't want to lose money. It's a dollar to play so it hurts your wallet and your ego =(
    KICK THE TREE
      0 points
    The reason they play safer is probably because even mid level players understand basic punishes and anti airs. So they know how to stop people from generating offense. So games have to be more of a foots based thing.

I'm envious of you!
  15. Member
    • CommentAuthorGnarr
      2 points
    Yeah it seems like they do understand the fundamentals pretty well. Even players that I think aren't very good will anti air the majority of the time.

I'm about to go to the arcade in an hour or 2. Will report back with more details!
  16. Member
    • CommentAuthorMr1one
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2014
      0 points
    Gnarr I think the problem you are having with E. Ryu is that his low forward is slow so you can't just go up to people and just low forward the same way you can with the other shotos. And because his EX fireball doesn't knockdown he sometimes has a hard time gaining ground. When I played him it felt like in some situations you couldn't do much and just have to move backwards.

E. Ryu is weird because it seems like you would just play him like Ryu and always low forward, but you really can't. You gotta be real good about picking when you do low forward. And be very precise because if you whiff it its out for a while. Once you get the hit you gotta always capitalize and have a good set up afterwards because then you win.
  17. b27
    • CommentAuthorSeventy2B
      0 points
    So almost 2 weeks in, I've made my decision and I think without a doubt, gief is the best grappler in usf4 and he is still my main. I think this is the best version on gief since vanilla, maybe even better. The jab gh buff is amazing, it comes out so fast, it is very hard to react too. Even with t hawks new mobility, gief is even faster with jab gh. Not the mention the abundance of meter at giefs disposal now that he has a good meterless combo, then you add how scary gief is with super now, I'm finding most fireball character are terrified now if I have full bar to where they won't fireball at all and it basically lets me walk them to the corner. I also really love close mk for pressure, I'm using it much more as a meaty. That being said, he still has a fair number of bad match ups. Obviously sagat is still really bad, a bit better but still a hard counter. Also I find that he loses to most other grapplers. Hugo I've found to be very tough with gief, Hugo absolutely dominates the midrange game and up close it seems like all 50/50/s. T hawk is still bad, Hakan is probably about evenish and Abel is still a slight win for gief. I think I'll keep hawk as backup for other grapplers, I really like the spire as an airborne option against other grapplers. But I really think people have underestimated how good the jab gh makes gief.
    KICK THE TREE
      0 points
    i don't, you can punish c.HP on blanka with LP gh. What a joke ;[ He's so scary! I think t.hawk is better personally but they are both good grapplers. I think gief is strong mid tier right now.

LP gh i don't have a problem reacting to. My problem is how it gives you setups after any knockdown, and also being able to punish stuff like the c.HP from blanka.
  19. b27
    • CommentAuthorSeventy2B
      0 points
    ^ I haven't tested too much blanka stuff but I'm wondering if it's fast enough now to where after a blocked ex or jab blanka ball you can reversal whiff jab gh into an SPd or something.
    KICK THE TREE
      0 points
    if you can punish jab ball then that matchup is gonna be 6-4 to gief. I already think it's even because you can punish c.HP now. Being able to shut that down is TERRIBLE for blanka. I have to rely on s.MP alone now? what a joke ;[