Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Sup?!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    KICK THE TREE
      0 points
    If that stays it's gonna be ridiculous.
    I heart boobs
    • CommentAuthorAuraWind
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2013
      1 point
    That's why fox has been playing so much boxer lately...
  3. Fresh out the DANGER ROOM
    • CommentAuthorTage*Proto
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2013
      0 points
    Can someone break down the typical option selects? I understand what os is, but from talking to people it definitely seems like they are more prevalent/important in sf.
  4. Member
    • CommentAuthorGnarr
      1 point
    I use 2 different ones very regularly.

One is O/S sweep with my jabs usually on wake up pressure or when people get predictable with backdashes. I also O/S jump ins a lot with sweep or tatsu often. Or if I'm playing akuma I will O/S demon sometimes.

I think they are pretty important in SF. You are covering 2 options instead of just 1 on your offense. They can backfire however if someone does a reversal and beats your sweep that was os'd when you otherwise would have been safe.
    KICK THE TREE
    • CommentAuthorFoxisquick
      1 point
    I had a huge pots about option selects.. i can't find it.. but i can post something quick here.

The most typical option select is a defensive one, crouch teching. you hit c.LK c.LP while you crouch. What this does is it makes you do a c.LK. Unless someone tries to throw you in which case you've entered the c.LK c.LP and you tech the throw.
    In early Sf4 people would mash on crouchtech and it was hard to throw people. Also people who have fast c.LK could just mash crouch tech and if c.LK hits instead of a tech they can usually confirm into a combo. Ryu, Akuma, fei long, cammy, and others can do this.

More modern option selects are buffering a special or a normal so that if there is no hitstun or blockstun they will come out. Easiest example that any shoto can do. You jumpin with j.HK as ryu and then buffer in tatsu. If you block the j.HK there is hitstun and ryu doesn't land in time so the tatsu doesn't come out. All you see is a j.HK getting blocked. If someone were to backdash, they have invincible startup so the j.HK would whiff, but there would be no hitstun causing the tatsu to come out and hit them on backdash. If you watch evo top 8 for 2010 you can see a match between daigo and Mike Ross. Daigo will jumpin with j.MK or HK and buffer DP. If mike ross does ex headbutt (which has invincible startup) the j.HK will whiff and DP comes out beating the headbutt. But if mike ross does nothing then it's just a blocked j.HK.

There are other option selects that will allow you to buffer in ultras. Cammy is probably the best at this. There are also simple option selects that a lot of people can do. One of the best simple option selects is what balrog does. He can input c.LP then hits c.LP c.HK at the same time. if you backdash the c.LP then it recovers fast enough allowing the s.LP s.HK to come out as s.HK. (in sf4 if you hit 2 buttons at the same time, the strongest always comes out). However if you block the c.LP then only s.LP comes out because its a chained attack if that makes sense. Let me know if you have additional questions.
    KICK THE TREE
      0 points
    High level option selects are things like hitting 4 button techs, 3 button techs and using things like proximity specials.
    KICK THE TREE
      0 points
    Gnarr:
    I use 2 different ones very regularly.

One is O/S sweep with my jabs usually on wake up pressure or when people get predictable with backdashes. I also O/S jump ins a lot with sweep or tatsu often. Or if I'm playing akuma I will O/S demon sometimes.

I think they are pretty important in SF. You are covering 2 options instead of just 1 on your offense. They can backfire however if someone does a reversal and beats your sweep that was os'd when you otherwise would have been safe.

gnarr touches on an extremely important point is that option selects a lot of them at least lose to good reversals. So just be careful when using them. This is also why at the higher levels people get thrown a lot because not touching buttons and just accepting the throw is a great choice sometimes. this is also why vortex characters are so ridiculous. If you run away they option select, if you do nothing they can throw and reset the vortex. It's very difficult to face those type of situations.
  8. Fresh out the DANGER ROOM
      0 points
    So does that automatically create a tendency for more reversals? Basically do you use os to force more reversals out of your opponent? If I understand it correctly the c.lk c.lp crouch tech would either tech a throw or have your c.lk to come out, but this would lose to a reversal?
  9. Member
    • CommentAuthorGnarr
      0 points
    It loses to meaty attacks on wake ups, shimmies (walk up, walk back right outside of range and then throw) and yes reversals.

It doesn't really create more reversals. It depends on how people react to you showing them you know how to o/s.

For example if I o/s a sweep on my block strings and the other player becomes aware of that. Next time they can reversal, block, or focus backdash. It's like a constant game of rock paper scissors. Good players will continue to challenge O/S and any type of pressure for that matter to see how you respond.
    Rip the Jacker
    • CommentAuthorRecon
      1 point
    Don there are sooo many aspects of street fighter that you should worry about before you even get into options selects. Spacing and footsies primarily. When we played you just let adon roll all over you. I can't even remember if you threw a properly spaced fireball.
  11. Fresh out the DANGER ROOM
      0 points
    Lol, point taken I guess. I just dont want to get in habits of not at least thinking about os in situations where it normally occurs you know.
  12. Member
    • CommentAuthorGnarr
      0 points
    Recon:
    Don there are sooo many aspects of street fighter that you should worry about before you even get into options selects. Spacing and footsies primarily. When we played you just let adon roll all over you. I can't even remember if you threw a properly spaced fireball.

Yes this first and foremost. If you haven't already, read this http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702

It's a footsies hand guide that will teach the fundamentals of SF.
    KICK THE TREE
      0 points
    Don you're an anime game player right? I dunno if fireball characters would work for that. Have you considered any rushdown character? Wouldn't that suit you better? Just curious.
  14. Fresh out the DANGER ROOM
      0 points
    I thought about it, but I think honestly the game engines are way too different for me to make a direct connection between a rushdown character in lets say blaz blue and a rushdown character in sf4. I want to learn it and play it right I guess rather then trying to make it feel like an anime game if that makes sense.
    KICK THE TREE
      0 points
    I dunno i mean there are some really good characters that could fit the bill. I know guys like hellfire and true_tech both played viper and they are also anime characters. She's super fun and does some crazy damage. now that i think about it latif, flash metroid, who are also anime players have had huge success with viper as well.
    • CommentAuthorHellFire
      0 points
    As someone that played both SF and Anime, I would highly suggest C.Viper. I feel like anyone with strong air options/mobility are good for those that have an anime background though: Adon, Akuma, Oni, Ibuki, Seth, Juri, etc.
    Rip the Jacker
    • CommentAuthorRecon
      0 points
    Watched some more footage on Rolento. looks like ex patriot circle might have some invincibility so thats good. Looks like he wil lbe less rush down and more pokey. Seen st. MP used as an anti air so thats a welcomed sign. EX roll has some decent push back probably not enough to be safe. 1 bar special into ultra looking especially strong.
  18. b27
    • CommentAuthorSeventy2B
      0 points
    ^ex patriot circle from what Valle said has invincible frames, just not all the way till it's active like rose's ex drill now. Links right into ultra though so that would be some broke shit if it was fully unhittable.
    • CommentAuthorHellFire
      0 points
    Played some Ultra at NEC, Poison is fun :)
    Rip the Jacker
    • CommentAuthorRecon
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2013
      0 points
    HellFire:
    Played some Ultra at NEC, Poison is fun :)

poison seems to have to really good tools. her jump is reeeaallly floaty though. that one super where she whips you over and over is crazy. saw her punish seth's stetchy arms full screen.

Rolento has a so many escape options...don't know why they couldn't just give him scouter jump.