Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Sup?!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1. Member
      0 points
    Lol
      3 points
    The way we do it (KOF crew) is every time we meet everybody puts a dollar in the pot it's not a whole lot but over 3 months twice a week and around 6 players every Ranbat it comes out to be $144 but sometimes someone doesn't have cash or whatever or actually sometimes we do money matches and that money goes towards the pot so we have done more of a community effort we keep points just so we know where we are but it doesn't real determine anything mostly we do it to get into a tournament mind set and to level up, now we have used the money for different things equipment for the crew and also pot bonus for tournaments. We only use one station for the Ranbat which is head to head and the other 2 or 3 are for casuals and practice mode. Hopefully this helps or at least it gives you another idea.
    BIG GAMBLES
    • CommentAuthorChavelo
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2013 edited
      5 points
    Don't lie, Edgar. The money is used to buy tamales for the breaks in between.
    • CommentAuthorRyyudo
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2013
      0 points
    I am pretty much on the page of Recon with this one. As a person who supported their ranbats by going nearly every week and not even PLAYING games that would've earned me a trip to EVO, it was depressing to see people stop attending as weeks passed. There is some history with that too, but Recon knows more about it than my Grapevine knowledge.

The idea itself is sound, don't get me wrong. It's also proven to discourage players also if there's a grand prize at the end, and not pay all out to person who wins that week. KoF guys shown us this works, charging a dollar and letting winner take it all. Pedro usually earns it, but it give you something worth fighting for too without too much expense.

I'm in for the KoF style, since P4A is dated by "anime" game terms. Once BB:CP comes out, there may be room to do an EVO/NEC grand prize while people are hype for it. Just be wary that if you promise the prize and people don't come, you still have a way to pay it out. Even if it's out-of-pocket.
    Rip the Jacker
    • CommentAuthorRecon
      1 point
    SecretHightTier:
    So here's my thoughts on this. Not everyone wants to play in a tournament, especially newer players. Tournaments tend to favor top players. If you look at how our tournaments are typically run, there isn't a whole lot of time for people to get casuals in, meaning the players who do well in the tournament are going to be doing most of the playing. Completely understandable, but not good for people who are likely to go 0-2 or 1-2. Events where people can just play against good competition are going to be more fun for less serious and newer players and definitely better for them leveling up as players.

I got a huge problem with this type of attitude. what the hell is a "top" player. People act like the players who are good at games just roll out of bed and are good. The difference between a good player and a casual one is understanding. You have to understand how the game works, what the opponent wants to do and most importantly the players style of play. When the good players give the casual players advice the majority of them do not listen...like at all. Or give some smart aleck retort to why they were doing x,y,z that was getting them bodied in the first place. yeah sure casuals are fun but they teach you nothing as far as playing when there is something on the line. I lose in casuals to people who i would never eeeever lose to in tournament simply because I'm not as calculated because there is nothing at stake. The only true barometer of where you stand as a player is tournaments as well as out of state tournaments. I do understand that some people just want to play games and not necessarily get better...and thats well....sad.
    I heart boobs
    • CommentAuthorAuraWind
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2013 edited
      0 points
    Recon:
    I do understand that some people just want to play games and not necessarily get better...and thats well....sad.

lol? I think that's what was the biggest issue when things went hardcore at the BK Ranbats. People still want to have fun, playing games for fun is a thing you know
  7. Member
    • CommentAuthorGnarr
      0 points
    I agree with Recon on the ranbat ideas.

One problem is the skill level seems to be pretty stagnant. The people who are good have stayed good, and the people who aren't good haven't progressed. I'm not sure if (SF4) has reached a level where it's hard to catch up, or some players don't give a shit about getting better, or the good players aren't helping enough?

I think it discourages some people from wanting to enter ranbats or to grind 110% to try to win. Like others have said once they lose sight of placing high enough they don't try anymore.

I feel like as a community we've tried a million different ways to level each other up. The people who want it bad enough will get better and I think that's just how it is. And what Recon said about giving advice I also see. I will tell people little tips and tricks and then play them next week and it's as if I said nothing at all.

You have to drive that shit into your brain dudes. Write down advice from people who are better than you and go into training mode and practice it over and over and over until you want to puke.

That being said, if anyone is 1000000% serious about wanting to get better at SF4 I will help you. I'm not the best in CO at the game but it's the only game I've played for 5 years straight and I know a lot about it.
    Rip the Jacker
    • CommentAuthorRecon
      0 points
    AuraWind:
    Recon:
    I do understand that some people just want to play games and not necessarily get better...and thats well....sad.

lol? I think that's what was the biggest issue when things went hardcore at the BK Ranbats. People still want to have fun, playing games for fun is a thing you know

guess you forgot what EFL's motto was...This was colorado's competitive edge. Which is why we did the things that we did to make players who wanted to learn better. Games are fun getting better is more fun winning shit is even more fun. Wasting time beating someone over and over with the same tactic when you specifically tell them what you are doing to them and they still continue to get blown up by the same shit does not make anyone better at all. If all you want to do is have play casually you can do that online in the comfort of your own home something you would know an awful lot about. The reason things went "hardcore" at BK was because there was something at stake.
    I heart boobs
    • CommentAuthorAuraWind
      0 points
    Okay, zero fun, gotcha.

You hear that guys, no fun allowed in EFL!
    Rip the Jacker
    • CommentAuthorRecon
      0 points
    Hey man ..reading works too. Games are fun getting better is more fun winning shit is even more fun. Now take that troll shit back to lol where it belongs.
    I heart boobs
    • CommentAuthorAuraWind
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2013 edited
      2 points
    Recon:
    Games are fun getting better is more fun winning shit is even more fun.

[Redacted because I love Skilletor]
    Rip the Jacker
    • CommentAuthorRecon
      0 points
    haha i hate gay people? whatever you say man. Yes people do have fun in different ways but when you are the one running the tournaments you get to decide what happens and what doesn't you have to take the lead in getting shit done. The BK ranbats accomplished what they set out to accomplish.
    Da Illest Grammar Nazi
    • CommentAuthorskilletor
      4 points
    Hey guys, how about that safehouse?

Eh?

Let's talk about that.
    • CommentAuthoroilyeye
      0 points
    Won't be there this week since I'm headed down to Springs to play some of that STREET FIGHTER.
    • CommentAuthorHellFire
      3 points
    When I was listening to Big D on a podcast yesterday, he repeated a very interesting quote about Colorado that Happy Medicine had said.

"Colorado's biggest problem is that we are GOOD. The thing is, Colorado is content at being good when Colorado could be GREAT."

Take that quote however you will. Now, who is up for getting better at Safehouse? EVO is only a month away!!!
    Rip the Jacker
    • CommentAuthorRecon
      1 point
    hahaha.
    • CommentAuthorMoses
      0 points
    HellFire:
    When I was listening to Big D on a podcast yesterday, he repeated a very interesting quote about Colorado that Happy Medicine had said.

"Colorado's biggest problem is that we are GOOD. The thing is, Colorado is content at being good when Colorado could be GREAT."

Wait what when did he do a podcast? He didn't link it on twitter :(
      1 point
    I think the idea of a Ranbat and having a price at the end whatever it is could be easily accomplish and I don't think is that complicated like Gnarr said whoever wants to level up will level up now you have to understand people have different learning curves and also some people don't like to be told anything (that's me) but like me I like to play competive and I want to level up so I go home and I work on what people told me.I don't take the advice right then but I work on it at home others just do it to socialize its something they like plus they have friends so they go out and play but their goal isn't to become Justin Wong or better or whatever now with that been said you guys are forgetting that now there is a permanent venue that is there for the community and its a a business so they are there to make money so they want as many players as they can get and that should be the goal to grow as a community and I'm sure better players will come along to challenge the Colorado veterans and that is going to make them even better. Also the Safehouse guys are there to help as well so I know they will help making brackets, organizing, keeping track of points each Ranbat and help collecting the Ranbat money and giving out prices so I think there is a lot of help so idk how it was at BK but I know Ben and Recon did it all so now it should be easier also Chavelo is there (team chavelo) he always sets up the streaming and he is always willing to help so just start the season whoever shows shows do like 2 dollar Ranbat every time and a tournament before evo and split it 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. Just do it MiracleKnight or whoever started this.
  19. Member
      1 point
    Recon:

I got a huge problem with this type of attitude. what the hell is a "top" player. People act like the players who are good at games just roll out of bed and are good. The difference between a good player and a casual one is understanding. You have to understand how the game works, what the opponent wants to do and most importantly the players style of play. When the good players give the casual players advice the majority of them do not listen...like at all. Or give some smart aleck retort to why they were doing x,y,z that was getting them bodied in the first place. yeah sure casuals are fun but they teach you nothing as far as playing when there is something on the line. I lose in casuals to people who i would never eeeever lose to in tournament simply because I'm not as calculated because there is nothing at stake. The only true barometer of where you stand as a player is tournaments as well as out of state tournaments. I do understand that some people just want to play games and not necessarily get better...and thats well....sad.

The only way you can get better is to play as much as you can, and tournaments do not create this kind of environment. Do you really think someone who goes 0-2 at every tourney is learning anything? Even if they want to learn? The only way you can get the kind of knowledge and understanding you are talking about is to play a lot against a lot of different people and the best way to do that is at these more casual gatherings like Safehouse. There are always going to be people who want to get better that take advice to heart and people that don't, but that's life.

Edit: I still think tournaments are a ton of fun and a good way to see how far you have progressed and I honestly don't think having a ranbat, especially for PERSONA of all games, is going to change anything of how things are run at Safehouse. Just trying to offer my perspective as a newer player.
      0 points
    Double post chavelo how come you don't have any input on this?