Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Sup?!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    KICK THE TREE
    • CommentAuthorFoxisquick
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011 edited
      3 points
    I don't see a thread for this so if i'm missing it please let me know and we can close this. This thread is to tell people about new games you've played that are pretty hype. Board games or whatever.

I'll start

Battleheart is the fucking best game on the iphone ever. Nothing is better then this. I would have paid 5-10$ for this. And if a bigger version ever gets ported to a console i will buy it 10 times over.

If you don't know what this game is. It's an action RPG that looks like castle crashers except you have talent trees/different classes/gear/etc. it's amazing i love this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VqlJ_AvFS8

3$ on iphone. A MUST GET.
    Da Illest Grammar Nazi
    • CommentAuthorskilletor
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011
      1 point
    I like!

I've been playing a lot of Uprising: Hard Corps. If you didn't know, this is a contra game. It is awesome. Sprites are done by the BB/GG guys.

Just watch this if you are not convinced:

Uprising

There are two modes: Rising and Arcade.

Arcade is old school, limited lives, limited continues.

Rising is cool mode that lets you powerup your dude with faster movement/weapons powerups/new moves/lives, etc.

I recommend you buy it.

The voice sample quality is shit.
    Da Illest Grammar Nazi
    • CommentAuthorskilletor
      2 points
    Sword and Sworcery:

This game just came out on iPad. It's tough to explain. It reminds me of Out of This world, and then when you get into a battle it's kind of like a ghetto punchout.

The music and art are amazing. Videos don't really do the game any justice, but here's one anyway.

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery

The music and art are amazing.
    The music and art are amazing.
    KICK THE TREE
    • CommentAuthorFoxisquick
      1 point
    uprising is 100% purchased. My son and I are gonna crush that.
    Big Boss
    • CommentAuthorhydro
      0 points
    hell yeah @uprising
    hopefully I'll be able to play sword & sorcery... one day
  6. SmilezCo CEO
    • CommentAuthorSmilez
      1 point
    uprising looks sooo fun.
    • CommentAuthorRyyudo
      0 points
    From what I and Moses got to play of Uprising, it's alright, but they coulda done a lot more with it. A lot of things feel unusually underwhelming (Dashing, besides Wave-dashing) and/or random (Boss in a completely oversized area makes you search for him every time.) Plus, the difficulty curve apparently spikes after level 4/5? So Moses says.

Still though, fun game. (I still rather buy Scott Pilgrim though.)
    Da Illest Grammar Nazi
    • CommentAuthorskilletor
      0 points
    What's the problem with dashes in Uprising?

My biggest gripe is that you have to press a button to run rather than run being the default mode of movement. It'd be better if you had to press a button to walk.

I'm up to lvl 3. It's been fairly consistent. Rising mode makes things hella easy since you can upgrade your shit. Once I max everything out, I'll probably only run Arcade.
    • CommentAuthorMoses
      0 points
    I was willing to roll with Uprising initially, but after playing the rest of the game I'm pretty confident in saying that it's a terrible, terrible game and Arc System Works sucks at game design. The game has painfully shitty level and boss design, which uh, is kind of all Contra is when you get right down to it. Stage 3 & 7 alone are like... a big list of what not do to when making a side-scrolling action game. Like, everything about them. Every single thing.

The controls are awful -- you're given the Guilty Gear anime fighter movement toolset, but the game never does anything clever with it. You have a run button, but really you just want to run all the time because your default movement speed is so slow, and the only reason to air dash in 99% of the situations the game presents you with is -- again -- because your default air movement is so slow. Also: no useful invincible movement options. Just make the air dash invincible and throw some more bullets on the screen, arcsys! Oh my god that would rule.

IN CONCLUSION:
    Play Sin & Punishment: Star Successor (it's $15 on amazon now!)
    OR
    Play Alien Soldier
    OR
    Play the original Hard Corps (even though Brownie breaks that shit wide open)
    Da Illest Grammar Nazi
    • CommentAuthorskilletor
      0 points
    I ran through the entirety of the first section of level 1 just dodging (just to see if I could).

There's also a parry.

Air dashing just seems like something they tacked on to have it.

Everybody has an opinion, etc, but I haven't had any problems with the controls. I do wish running were default movement, though. In just about every contra game I've played, they didn't have a run. The default movement speed was the default what you were stuck with.
    • CommentAuthorMoses
      0 points
    skilletor:
    There's also a parry.

Air dashing just seems like something they tacked on to have it.

The parry is so sucky, though! Like you use that thing, and you're stuck in recovery for like half a second afterwards. Let me spam that shit, arcsys, geeeeeezzz

And in stage 2, there's that fortress boss that makes you air dash between two different rows of incoming laser fire. That's a really cool boss! Why does that never happen again for like, the entire rest of the game?
    The Power Pill
    • CommentAuthorPiXeL
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2011
      2 points
    Trace Buster Buster
    • CommentAuthorKrsJin
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2011
      0 points
    That looks dope to me too. I kinda get a more colorful Nier vibe from it.
    Trace Buster Buster
    • CommentAuthorKrsJin
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2011 edited
      0 points
    !!!!!!!!!!!! Probably my most anticipated title now.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428314

There's a trailer too that I'm currently trying to find
    , and I'll post up a more public link soon. for those who may not be able to access neogaf.

First footage of PSO2. Combat looks slick already.

Translated JP notes:
    "Is there adventure in today's RPGs?
    Always, to a new field. Random field.
    Original Combos
    TPS style
    Jump Action
    Hybrid Custom Action
    It gives you a foreboding feeling -- seamless weather.
    Something will happen every time!? Interrupt event
    Aiming for "Endless Advneture."
    The adventure without end, once again."

PSO 2 BABY! The return of the amazing, casual, online-co-op! !!!!!

EDIT: Also a more recent trailer of Child of Eden!!!! It's totally Rez again! And I love it already.
    Child of Eden
    I heart boobs
    • CommentAuthorAuraWind
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2011
      2 points
    I'm really looking forward to Child of Eden. It might be Kinect's first killer app (hopefully). I'm also hoping Steel Battalion 2 will be awesome on Kinect too. I just hope they don't bring back deleting saved games if you don't emergency eject... :(
    Da Illest Grammar Nazi
    • CommentAuthorskilletor
      0 points
    Is PSO2 PC only?
    Trace Buster Buster
    • CommentAuthorKrsJin
      0 points
    It's only listed as PC right now, but they had done that for PSU early on too. So I'm not really sure. Part of me would rather them keep it PC only so that it has less restrictions but I don't think the Wii will get it so the restrictions would be minimal.
    Original Fresh
    • CommentAuthorCrazy-J
      0 points
    AuraWind:
    I just hope they don't bring back deleting saved games if you don't emergency eject... :(

Tell me about it. :( Fucking shitty.
    Trace Buster Buster
    • CommentAuthorKrsJin
      0 points
    Don't eject then, scrubs.

:) Jk I never really played it much haha.
    I heart boobs
    • CommentAuthorAuraWind
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011
      0 points
    KrsJin:
    Don't eject then, scrubs.

:) Jk I never really played it much haha.

It was waaay more sinister than that. If you were going down and your mech was about to blow up, you had to open the plastic box over the emergency eject button and press it before you went down. This was everytime you failed a mission. Screw up once and you start over. Kinda cool... but not really... lol